Posted on 2017-11-20, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Alexander Edmonds | Category: Non-fiction | Language: English | Page: 1 | ISBN: 0822347857 |
Description: Pretty Modern is a riveting account of Brazil's emergence as a global leader in plastic surgery. Intrigued by a Carnival parade that mysteriously paid homage to a Rio de Janeiro plastic surgeon, anthropologist Alexander Edmonds conducted research that took him from Ipanema socialite circles to glitzy telenovela studios to the packed waiting rooms of public hospitals offering free cosmetic surgery. The result is provocative exploration of the erotic, commercial, and intimate aspects of beauty in a nation with extremes of wealth and poverty and a reputation for natural sensuality. Drawing on conversations with maids and their elite mistresses, divorced housewives, black celebrities, and favela residents aspiring to be fashion models, he analyzes what sexual desirability means and does for women in different social positions. Edmonds argues that beauty is a distinct realm of modern experience that does not simply reflect other inequalities. It mimics the ambiguous emancipatory potential of capital, challenging traditional hierarchies while luring consumers into a sexual culture that reduces the body to the brute biological criteria of attractiveness. Richly illustrated with colour photographs, Pretty Modern offers a fresh theoretical perspective on the significance of female beauty in consumer capitalism.
Pretty Modern: Beauty, Sex, and Plastic Surgery in Brazil.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33612
- 2018-09-03Pretty Modern Beauty, Sex, and Plastic Surgery in Brazil
- 2018-01-08[PDF] The Encyclopedia of Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery (Facts on File Library of Health & Living)
- 2017-12-26[PDF] Dermal Replacements in General, Burn, and Plastic Surgery: Tissue Engineering in Clinical Practice
- 2017-10-27[PDF] Classroom Wars: Language, Sex, and the Making of Modern Political Culture
- 2017-01-10[PDF] Classroom Wars: Language, Sex, and the Making of Modern Political Culture
- 2019-01-31My Date My Story True Stories of Modern Dating, Sex, and Heartbreak
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Early Modern Tragedy, Gender and Performance, 1984-2000: The Destined Livery - Removed
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Transnasal Endoscopic Skull Base and Brain Surgery: Tips and Pearls
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Handbook of Otolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery
- 2018-01-20[PDF] Atlas of Pelvic Anatomy and Gynecologic Surgery, 4e
- 2018-01-19[PDF] Becoming Modern Women: Love and Female Identity in Prewar Japanese Literature and Culture
- 2018-01-19[PDF] An Atlas of Head and Neck Surgery, 4e
- 2018-01-18[PDF] Improved Outcomes in Colon and Rectal Surgery
- 2018-01-03[PDF] Key Topics in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- 2018-01-01[PDF] Encyclopedia of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery - Removed
- 2017-12-27[PDF] Early Modern Europe: Issues and Interpretations
- 2017-12-26[PDF] The End of Sex and the Future of Human Reproduction
- 2017-12-24[PDF] Master Techniques in Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- 2017-12-23[PDF] Simulation Training in Laparoscopy and Robotic Surgery - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.