Posted on 2017-11-24, by luongquocchinh.
Author: George P. Fletcher | Publisher: Princeton University Press | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 272 | ISBN: 0691006512 | ISBN13: 9780691006512 |
Description: America is at war with terrorism. Terrorists must be brought to justice. We hear these phrases together so often that we rarely pause to reflect on the dramatic differences between the demands of war and the demands of justice, differences so deep that the pursuit of one often comes at the expense of the other. In this book, one of the country's most important legal thinkers brings much-needed clarity to the still unfolding debates about how to pursue war and justice in the age of terrorism. George Fletcher also draws on his rare ability to combine insights from history, philosophy, literature, and law to place these debates in a rich cultural context. He seeks to explain why Americans for so many years cynical about war have recently found war so appealing. He finds the answer in a revival of Romanticism, a growing desire in the post-Vietnam era to identify with grand causes and to put nations at the center of ideas about glory and guilt. Fletcher opens with unsettling questions about the nature of terrorism, war, and justice, showing how dangerously slippery the concepts can be. He argues that those sympathetic to war are heirs to the ideals of Byron, Fichte, and other Romantics in their belief that nations not just individuals must uphold honor and be held accountable for crimes. Fletcher writes that ideas about collective glory and guilt are far more plausible and widespread than liberal individualists typically recognize. But as he traces the implications of the Romantic mindset for debates about war crimes, treason, military tribunals, and genocide, he also shows that losing oneself in a grand cause can all too easily lead to moral catastrophe. A work of extraordinary intellectual power and relevance, the book will change how we think not only about world events, but about the conflicting individualist and collective impulses that tear at all of us.
Romantics at War: Glory and Guilt in the Age of Terrorism.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33751
- 2010-03-06Romantics at War: Glory and Guilt in the Age of Terrorism
- 2018-01-08[PDF] Pax Romana: War, Peace and Conquest in the Roman World
- 2017-01-14[PDF] Pax Romana: War, Peace and Conquest in the Roman World
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Third Party Sex Work and Pimps in the Age of Anti-trafficking
- 2017-12-27[PDF] Getting Religion: Faith, Culture, and Politics from the Age of Eisenhower to the Era of Obama
- 2017-11-11[PDF] American Furies: Crime, Punishment, and Vengeance in the Age of Mass Imprisonment
- 2017-11-02[PDF] Sacred Economics: Money, Gift, and Society in the Age of Transition
- 2017-10-21[PDF] Networks of Innovation: Change and Meaning in the Age of the Internet
- 2017-04-05[PDF] Freedom's Mirror: Cuba And Haiti In The Age Of Revolution
- 2017-01-10[PDF] Networks of Innovation: Change and Meaning in the Age of the Internet
- 2018-01-31[PDF] American Hero: The True Story of Tommy Hitchcock Sports Star, War Hero, and Champion of the War-Winning P-51 Mustang
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Late Cold War Literature and Culture: The Nuclear 1980s
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Margot at War: Love and Betrayal in Downing Street, 1912-1916
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Defense Relations between Australia and Indonesia in the Post-Cold War Era: (Contributions in Military Studies)
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Creole Renegades: Rhetoric of Betrayal and Guilt in the Caribbean Diaspora
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Mayhem: Post-War Crime and Violence in Britain, 1748-53 (The Lewis Walpole Series in Eighteenth-Century Culture and History)
- 2018-01-10[PDF] World War I and Urban Order: The Local Class Politics of National Mobilization
- 2018-01-07[PDF] TTC Video - War, Peace, and Power: Diplomatic History of Europe, 1500-2000
- 2018-01-03[PDF] Great War, Total War: Combat and Mobilization on the Western Front, 1914-1918 (Publications of the German Historical Institute)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.