[PDF] Safe Space: Gay Neighborhood History and the Politics of Violence (Perverse Modernities: A Series Edited by Jack Halberstam and Lisa Lowe)
Posted on 2017-10-12, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Christina B. Hanhardt | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 376 | ISBN: 0822354705 | ISBN13: 9780822354703 |
Description: Since the 1970s, a key goal of lesbian and gay activists has been protection against street violence, especially in gay neighborhoods. During the same time, policymakers and private developers declared the containment of urban violence to be a top priority. In this important book, Christina B. Hanhardt examines how LGBT calls for "safe space" have been shaped by broader public safety initiatives that have sought solutions in policing and privatization and have had devastating effects along race and class lines. Drawing on extensive archival and ethnographic research in New York City and San Francisco, Hanhardt traces the entwined histories of LGBT activism, urban development, and U.S. policy in relation to poverty and crime over the past fifty years. She highlights the formation of a mainstream LGBT movement, as well as the very different trajectories followed by radical LGBT and queer grassroots organizations. Placing LGBT activism in the context of shifting liberal and neoliberal policies, Safe Space is a groundbreaking exploration of the contradictory legacies of the LGBT struggle for safety in the city.
Safe Space: Gay Neighborhood History and the Politics of Violence (Perverse Modernities: A Series Edited by Jack Halberstam and Lisa Lowe).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32333
- 2018-12-28Chinese Surplus Biopolitical Aesthetics and the Medically Commodified Body (Perverse Modernities A Series Edited by Jack Halberstam and Lisa Lowe)
- 2017-04-05[PDF] Movement and the Ordering of Freedom: On Liberal Governances of Mobility (Perverse Modernities: A Series Edited by Jack Halberstam and Lisa Lowe)
- 2017-11-14[PDF] Visual Occupations: Violence and Visibility in a Conflict Zone (Perverse Modernities: A Series Edited by Jack Halberstam and Lisa Lowe)
- 2017-04-05[PDF] Time Binds: Queer Temporalities, Queer Histories (Perverse Modernities: A Series Edited by Jack Halberstam and Lisa Lowe)
- 2018-01-18[PDF] Time & Space: A brieft history of the origin of our universe
- 2018-01-09[PDF] The Deep Metaphysics of Space: An Alternative History and Ontology Beyond Substantivalism and Relationism (European Studies in Philosophy of Science) - Removed
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Eppur si muove: Doing History and Philosophy of Science with Peter Machamer: A Collection of Essays in Honor of Peter Machamer (The Western Ontario Series in Philosophy of Science)
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Narratives of Low Countries History and Culture: Reframing the Past
- 2018-01-18[PDF] Constructed Situations: A New History of the Situationist International (Marxism and Culture)
- 2018-01-17[PDF] Anthropocene or Capitalocene?: Nature, History, and the Crisis of Capitalism (KAIROS)
- 2018-01-16[PDF] Java Programming - An Introduction, History, and the Fundamentals for Creating Your First Program
- 2018-01-09[PDF] Celebrity in Chief: A History of the Presidents and the Culture of Stardom, With a New Epilogue on Hillary and 'The Donald'
- 2017-12-31[PDF] Fug You: An Informal History of the Peace Eye Bookstore, the Fuck You Press, the Fugs, and Counterculture in the Lower East Side
- 2017-12-26[PDF] Peace, They Say: A History of the Nobel Peace Prize, the Most Famous and Controversial Prize in the World
- 2017-12-24[PDF] Writing in Pain: Literature, History, and the Culture of Denial
- 2017-12-24[PDF] A Guide to Oral History and the Law (Oxford Oral History)
- 2017-12-22[PDF] Always Already New: Media, History, and the Data of Culture
- 2017-11-26[PDF] Meals to Come: A History of the Future of Food (California Studies in Food and Culture)
- 2017-11-18[PDF] Beyond Hope: An Illustrated History of the Fraser and Cariboo Gold Rush
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.