Posted on 2017-12-15, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Douglas R. Hoffman | Category: Architecture | Language: English | Page: 86 | ISBN: 1606350471 | ISBN13: 9781606350478 |
Description: A collaborative publishing venture between the Kent State University Press and Cleveland State University's Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs' Center for Sacred Landmarks, "The Sacred Landmarks Series" includes both works of scholarship and general interest that preserve history and increase understanding of religious sites, structures, and organizations in Northeast Ohio, in the United States, and around the world. This is a compelling study of what makes a sacred place sacred. From ancient temples to modern churches, synagogues, and mosques, architects throughout history have invested their creative energies to design sacred spaces. Many cultures devoted considerable resources to their sacred architecture, and sacred spaces are among the most impressive and permanent structures created by humanity. Author Douglas R. Hoffman explores sacredness in houses of worship and examines the critical question of what architectural elements contribute to make sacred space. His underlying premise is that sacred space, while ephemeral, can be perceived and understood through a careful investigation of its architecture. After laying out the definition and architectural attributes of sacred space, Hoffman examines four contemporary American examples: the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles, Adath Jeshurun Synagogue in Minnetonka, Minnesota, the Islamic Cultural Center in New York City, and Riverbend Church in Austin, Texas. Illustrated with dozens of color photographs, "Seeking the Sacred in Contemporary Religious Architecture" presents the notion of the sacred in a cogent, engaging way that can be understood and appreciated by all, even as it will be valued by religious and architectural historians and scholars.
Seeking the Sacred in Contemporary Religious Architecture (The Sacred Landmarks Series).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34391
- 2012-01-05Seeking the Sacred in Contemporary Religious Architecture (The Sacred Landmarks Series) - Douglas R. Hoffman
- 2011-12-22Seeking the Sacred in Contemporary Religious Architecture (The Sacred Landmarks Series) - Douglas R. Hoffman
- 2011-12-17Seeking the Sacred in Contemporary Religious Architecture (The Sacred Landmarks Series) - Douglas R. Hoffman
- 2011-08-18Seeking the Sacred in Contemporary Religious Architecture (The Sacred Landmarks Series)
- 2011-03-08Seeking the Sacred in Contemporary Religious Architecture
- 2017-11-18[PDF] Seeking the Cure Unknown: A Report from the Lymelands
- 2017-11-04[PDF] Seeking the Beloved Community: A Feminist Race Reader (SUNY Series, Philosophy and Race (Hardcover))
- 2017-10-29[PDF] Seeking the Heart of Wisdom: The Path of Insight Meditation (Shambhala Classics)
- 2017-10-18[PDF] A Field Guide to Contemporary American Architecture
- 2017-10-07[PDF] Seeking the American Dream: A Sociological Inquiry - Removed
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Physics (The Big Questions Series)
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Phoenix: The Iron Eagle Series Book Twelve
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Fractured (The Vampire Awakenings Series)
- 2018-01-14[PDF] Fearless (The Solomon Brothers Series) (Volume 3)
- 2017-12-19[PDF] Spectrum (The Karen Vail Series)
- 2017-12-19[PDF] Enforce: The Eagle Elite Series [Audiobook]
- 2017-12-18[PDF] Numbed (The White Coat Series) (Volume 2)
- 2017-12-18[PDF] Monitored (The White Coat Series Book 3)
- 2017-12-16[PDF] Assumptions (The Assumed Expectations Series) (Volume 1)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.