[PDF] Shrinking the Technosphere: Getting a Grip on Technologies that Limit our Autonomy, Self-Sufficiency and Freedom
Posted on 2018-01-25, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Dmitry Orlov | Publisher: New Society Publishers | Category: Biomedical Engineering | Language: English | Page: 256 | ISBN: 0865718385 | ISBN13: 9780865718388 |
Description: Over the past two centuries we have witnessed a wholesale replacement of most of the previous methods of conducting both business and daily life with new, technologically advanced, more efficient methods. What exactly is progressive or efficient about this new arrangement is hardly ever examined in depth: if the new ways of doing things are so much better, then we must all be leading relaxed, stress-free, enjoyable lives with plenty of free time to devote to art and leisure activities. But a more careful look at these changes shows us that many of these advances are not weighing favourably in a harm/benefit comparison. The harm to the environment, society, and even to our own personalities, on an individual level, is plain to see, but is brushed off with hollow claims about efficiency and progress. Shrinking the Technosphere guides readers through the process of bringing technology down to a manageable number of carefully chosen, essential, well-understood and controllable elements. It is about regaining the freedom to use technology for our own benefit, and is critical reading for all who seek to get back to a point where technologies assist us rather than control us. Dmitry Orlov was born in Leningrad, USSR, and emigrated to the United States in the mid-1970s. He holds degrees in Computer Engineering and Linguistics, and has worked in a variety of fields, including high-energy physics, Internet commerce, network security and advertising. He is the author of several previous books, including Reinventing Collapse and The Five Stages of Collapse.
Shrinking the Technosphere: Getting a Grip on Technologies that Limit our Autonomy, Self-Sufficiency and Freedom.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35645
- 2018-07-28Shrinking the Technosphere Getting a Grip on the Technologies That Limit Our Autonomy, Self-Sufficiency and Freedom
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Behind the Mask: Getting to Grips with Crime and Violence in South Africa
- 2017-10-17[PDF] Writing the Personal: Getting Your Stories onto the Page
- 2017-10-10[PDF] Programming the Photon: Getting Started with the Internet of Things (Tab)
- 2017-10-08[PDF] Shrinking the News: Headline Stories on the Couch
- 2016-12-29[PDF] Programming the Photon: Getting Started with the Internet of Things (Tab)
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Israel: the First Hundred Years: Volume II: From War to Peace? (Israeli History, Politics and Society)
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Raising the Floor: How a Universal Basic Income Can Renew Our Economy and Rebuild the American Dream [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Hitting the Wall: A Vision of a Secure Energy Future (Synthesis Lectures on Energy and the Evironment: Technology, Science, and Society)
- 2018-01-21[PDF] The Metaphysics of Self-realisation and Freedom: Part One of the Liberal Socialism of Thomas Hill Green (British Idealist Studies, Series 3: Green)
- 2018-01-14[PDF] Mastering the Leadership Role in Project Management: Practices that Deliver Remarkable Results (FT Press Operations Management)
- 2018-01-14[PDF] Trading the Measured Move: A Path to Trading Success in a World of Algos and High Frequency Trading
- 2018-01-12[PDF] Think Confident, Be Confident for Teens: A Cognitive Therapy Guide to Overcoming Self-Doubt and Creating Unshakable Self-Esteem (The Instant Help Solutions Series)
- 2018-01-12[PDF] Winning the Professional Services Sale: Unconventional Strategies to Reach More Clients, Land Profitable Work, and Maintain Your Sanity
- 2018-01-11[PDF] One Night in Turin: The Inside Story of a World Cup That Changed Our Footballing Nation Forever
- 2018-01-09[PDF] Humanizing the Education Machine: How to Create Schools That Turn Disengaged Kids Into Inspired Learners
- 2018-01-09[PDF] The Expanded Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Training Manual: Practical DBT for Self-Help, and Individual & Group Treatment Settings
- 2018-01-08[PDF] Brilliant Blunders: From Darwin to Einstein - Colossal Mistakes by Great Scientists That Changed Our Understanding of Life and the Universe
- 2018-01-06[PDF] Catching the Wolf of Wall Street: - More Incredible True Stories of Fortunes, Schemes, Parties, and Prison
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.