[PDF] Six Memos from the Last Millennium: A Novelist Reads the Talmud (Exploring Jewish Arts and Culture)
Posted on 2018-01-11, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Joseph Skibell | Publisher: University of Texas Press | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 264 | ISBN: 1477307346 | ISBN13: 9781477307342 |
Description: A thief-turned-saint, killed by an insult. A rabbi burning down his world in order to save it. A man who lost his sanity while trying to fathom the origin of the universe. A beautiful woman battling her brother's and her husband's egos to preserve their family. Stories such as these enliven the pages of the Talmud, the great repository of ancient wisdom that is one of the sacred texts of the Jewish people. Comprised of the Mishnah, the oral law of the Torah, and the Gemara, a multigenerational metacommentary on the Mishnah dating from between 3950 and 4235 (190 and 475 CE), the Talmud presents a formidable challenge to understand without scholarly training and study. But what if one approaches it as a collection of tales with surprising relevance for contemporary readers? In Six Memos from the Last Millennium, critically acclaimed novelist Joseph Skibell reads some of the Talmud's tales with a storyteller's insight, concentrating on the lives of the legendary rabbis depicted in its pages to uncover the wisdom they can still impart to our modern age. He unifies strands of stories that are scattered throughout the Talmud into coherent narratives or "memos," which he then analyzes and interprets from his perspective as a novelist. In Skibell's imaginative and personal readings, this sacred literature frequently defies our conventional notions of piety. Sometimes wild, rude, and even bawdy, these memos from the last millennium pursue a livable transcendence, a way of fusing the mundane hours of earthly life with a cosmic sense of holiness and wonder.
Six Memos from the Last Millennium: A Novelist Reads the Talmud (Exploring Jewish Arts and Culture).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35221
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Inclusive Policing from the Inside Out (Advanced Sciences and Technologies for Security Applications)
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Biblical Commentaries from the Canterbury School of Theodore and Hadrian (Cambridge Studies in Anglo-Saxon England)
- 2017-12-08[PDF] Selected Themes from the Motion Picture Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: Piano Solos
- 2017-11-29[PDF] A Bolt From the Blue: Coping with Disasters and Acute Traumas
- 2017-11-21[PDF] Six Sigma in the Pharmaceutical Industry: Understanding, Reducing, and Controlling Variation in Pharmaceuticals and Biologics
- 2018-01-30[PDF] A Companion to the Global Renaissance: English Literature and Culture in the Era of Expansion
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Heritage or Heresy: The Public Interpretation of Archaeology and Culture in the Maya Riviera (Caribbean Archaeology and Ethnohistory)
- 2018-01-09[PDF] Kitchen Mysteries: Revealing the Science of Cooking (Arts and Traditions of the Table: Perspectives on Culinary History)
- 2017-12-03[PDF] This Mortal Coil: The Human Body in History and Culture
- 2017-11-05[PDF] Impersonal Enunciation, or the Place of Film (Film and Culture Series)
- 2017-10-22[PDF] Motion(less) Pictures: The Cinema of Stasis (Film and Culture Series)
- 2017-01-13[PDF] Impersonal Enunciation, or the Place of Film (Film and Culture Series)
- 2017-01-13[PDF] Motion(less) Pictures: The Cinema of Stasis (Film and Culture Series)
- 2017-01-12[PDF] Kitchen Mysteries: Revealing the Science of Cooking (Arts and Traditions of the Table: Perspectives on Culinary History)
- 2017-01-11[PDF] This Mortal Coil: The Human Body in History and Culture
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Radgepacket - Tales From The Inner Cities Volume Six
- 2012-01-02Dokken - Up From The Ashes
- 2011-11-10Mark Bittman's Quick and Easy Recipes from the New York Times
- 2011-09-16Dokken - Up From The Ashes
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.