[PDF] Taking the Sea: Perilous Waters, Sunken Ships, and the True Story of the Legendary Wrecker Captains
Posted on 2017-12-25, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Dennis M. Powers | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 320 | ISBN: 0814413536 | ISBN13: 9780814413531 |
Description: In the late 19th century, an intrepid, reckless group of men ruled the ocean. Known as â€œwreckers,â€ they earned their living by rescuing and raising sunken ships, even in the face of monstrous waves and fierce weather. To some, they were heroes, helping to rescue both passengers and ships with courage and skill. To others they were ruthless pirates, who exploited these ship wrecks purely for their treasure. In Taking the Sea, Dennis M. Powers uncovers a fascinating, yet largely unknown, period in our history. Here he traces the journey of these legendary men through the story of Captain Thomas P. H. Whitelaw, the most important ship salvager of his day. From their early beginnings when greedy villagers would lure ships to the rocky coasts of Europe to their heyday during the era of the fast but vulnerable American clipper ships and their founding of the city of Key West, Powers offers a compelling portrait of the wrecker captains and the dangerous lives they and their men led. From the East Coast to the Pacific, we travel along with these men as they faced the savage seas to save ships and plunder untold wealth. Beautifully written and vividly told, this is a magnificent look at the untold history of the fearless and often mercenary men who made their living from the sea.
Taking the Sea: Perilous Waters, Sunken Ships, and the True Story of the Legendary Wrecker Captains.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34722
- 2013-10-02Taking the Sea: Perilous Waters, Sunken Ships, and the True Story of the Legendary Wrecker Captains
- 2017-11-11[PDF] Sovereignty at Sea: U.S. Merchant Ships and American Entry into World War I (New Perspectives on Maritime History and Nautical Archaeology)
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Taking the High Ground: The archaeology of Rapa, a fortified island in remote East Polynesia (Terra Australis) (Volume 37)
- 2018-01-12[PDF] Taking the Path of Zen
- 2018-01-09[PDF] Taking the LEAP: The Methods and Tools of the Linked Engineering and Manufacturing Platform (LEAP)
- 2018-01-07[PDF] TAKING THE STAGE
- 2018-01-06[PDF] Taking the Titanic (BookShots)
- 2018-01-04[PDF] Taking the Shot: Photography Volume 2 (Photography for Teens)
- 2017-12-24[PDF] Taking the Lead: Lessons from a Life in Motion
- 2017-12-21[PDF] Warfare at Sea, 1500-1650: Maritime Conflicts and the Transformation of Europe (Warfare and History)
- 2017-12-21[PDF] Taking the Heat (Shadow Stalkers Book 2)
- 2017-12-18[PDF] Taking the Crime out of Sex Work: New Zealand Sex Workers' Fight for Decriminalisation
- 2017-12-18[PDF] Taking the Heat (The Kismet Series) (Volume 2)
- 2017-12-14[PDF] Taking the Stage: How Women Can Speak Up, Stand Out, and Succeed
- 2017-12-12[PDF] Taking the Medicine: A Short History of Medicine's Beautiful Idea, and Our Difficulty Swallowing It
- 2017-12-09[PDF] Taking the Vegan Challenge: A Guide to Going Vegan for 30 Days to Lose up to 20 Pounds! (Your body - Your friend)
- 2017-12-07[PDF] Taking the Highway
- 2017-11-19[PDF] Taking The Heat (Real Heat Book 1)
- 2017-11-19[PDF] Taking the Heat (Girls' Night Out)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.