Posted on 2018-01-31, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Bonnie MacLachlan | Category: Poetry | Language: English | Page: 220 | ISBN: 0691069743 | ISBN13: 9780691069746 |
Description: Although "grace" in today's secular usage often connotes beauty or good manners, to the ancient Greeks it was both an aesthetic and a moral concept central to social ordera transformative power grounded in favor, thanks, repayment, delight, pleasure, and, above all, reciprocity. Here Bonnie MacLachlan explores the Greek concept of grace, or charis, as depicted in poetic works from Homer to Aeschylus, to tap into the essential meaning behind the manifold uses of the term. She also relates it to other important concepts in the moral language of the eighth century \B.C.E. Examining epic, lyric, erotic, epinician, and tragic poetry, and the cult of the Charites themselves, MacLachlan shows how charis governed human relations of all sorts, from the battlefield to bed: Achilles sulks, and jeopardizes the Greek victory in the Trojan War, because there was no charis in Agamemnon's gesture of reconciliation the young Telemachus, filled with the gift of charis, speaks persuasively before the assembly of Ithacans young men and women in erotic poems shine with charis when they are sexually mature. In shaping her definition of charis as a mutually shared pleasure that breaks down the barriers of the self, MacLachlan seeks to elucidate many poetic passages that have long mystified the commentators. Originally published in 1993. The Princeton Legacy Library uses the latest print-on-demand technology to again make available previously out-of-print books from the distinguished backlist of Princeton University Press. These paperback editions preserve the original texts of these important books while presenting them in durable paperback editions. The goal of the Princeton Legacy Library is to vastly increase access to the rich scholarly heritage found in the thousands of books published by Princeton University Press since its founding in 1905.
The Age of Grace: Charis in Early Greek Poetry (Princeton Legacy Library).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35830
- 2011-09-05Aphrodite & Eros: The Development of Erotic Mythology in Early Greek Poetry and Cult (Studies in Classics)
- 2011-03-07Aphrodite & Eros: The Development of Erotic Mythology in Early Greek Poetry and Culture (Repost)
- 2010-06-19Aphrodite And Eros The Development Of Erotic Mythology In Early Greek Poetry
- 2009-09-20Aphrodite & Eros: The Development of Erotic Mythology in Early Greek Poetry and Culture (Studies in Classics)
- 2018-01-03[PDF] Warfare and the Age of Printing: Catalogue of Early Printed Books from Before 1801 in Dutch Military Collections
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Age of Reform, 1250-1550: An Intellectual and Religious History of Late Medieval and Reformation Europe
- 2018-01-28[PDF] The age of the mad dragons: Steam locomotives in North America
- 2018-01-28[PDF] The Age of Bowie
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The Age of the Crusades
- 2018-01-26[PDF] The Age of Perversion: Desire and Technology in Psychoanalysis and Culture (Psychoanalysis in a New Key Book Series)
- 2018-01-21[PDF] The Miracle of Grace
- 2018-01-21[PDF] The Age of Caesar: Five Roman Lives
- 2018-01-18[PDF] The Age of Henry VIII (The Great Courses)
- 2018-01-16[PDF] The Age of Wonder: The Romantic Generation and the Discovery of the Beauty and Terror of Science
- 2018-01-12[PDF] The Age of Consent
- 2018-01-12[PDF] The Primeval Flood Catastrophe: Origins and Early Development in Mesopotamian Traditions (Oxford Oriental Monographs)
- 2018-01-12[PDF] The Age of Insight: The Quest to Understand the Unconscious in Art, Mind, and Brain, from Vienna 1900 to the Present
- 2018-01-12[PDF] The Age of Youth in Argentina: Culture, Politics, and Sexuality from Peron to Videla
- 2018-01-11[PDF] The Age of Empire: 1875-1914
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.