Posted on 2018-01-10, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Victor S Navasky | Category: Non-fiction | Language: English | Page: 256 | ISBN: 0307957209 | ISBN13: 9780307957207 |
Description: A lavishly illustrated, witty, and original look at the awesome power of the political cartoon throughout history to enrage, provoke, and amuse. As a former editor of The New York Times Magazine and the longtime editor of The Nation, Victor S. Navasky knows just how transformativeâ€”and incendiaryâ€”cartoons can be. Here Navasky guides readers through some of the greatest cartoons ever created, including those by George Grosz, David Levine, Herblock, Honore Daumier, and Ralph Steadman. He recounts how cartoonists and caricaturists have been censored, threatened, incarcerated, and even murdered for their art, and asks what makes this art form, too often dismissed as trivial, so uniquely poised to affect our minds and our hearts. Drawing on his own encounters with would-be censors, interviews with cartoonists, and historical archives from cartoon museums across the globe, Navasky examines the political cartoon as both art and polemic over the centuries. We see afresh images most celebrated for their artistic merit (Picasso's Guernica, Goya's "Duendecitos"), images that provoked outrage (the 2008 Barry Blitt New Yorker cover, which depicted the Obamas as a Muslim and a Black Power militant fist-bumping in the Oval Office), and those that have dictated public discourse (Herblockâ€™s defining portraits of McCarthyism, the Nazi periodical Der Sturmerâ€™s anti-Semitic caricatures). Navasky ties together these and other superlative genre examples to reveal how political cartoons have been not only capturing the zeitgeist throughout history but shaping it as wellâ€”and how the most powerful cartoons retain the ability to shock, gall, and inspire long after their creation. Here Victor S. Navasky brilliantly illuminates the true power of one of our most enduringly vital forms of artistic expression.
The Art of Controversy: Political Cartoons and Their Enduring Power.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35208
- 2017-01-17[PDF] The Art of Controversy: Political Cartoons and Their Enduring Power
- 2013-05-26The Art of Controversy: Political Cartoons and Their Enduring Power
- 2017-10-26[PDF] The Art of Time Travel: Historians and Their Craft
- 2011-08-07Enchantment: The Art of Changing Hearts, Minds, and Actions
- 2018-02-02[PDF] The Art of Spray Paint: Inspirations and Techniques from Masters of Aerosol
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Madrasa in Asia: Political Activism and Transnational Linkages
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Art of Computer Virus Research and Defense
- 2018-01-28[PDF] The Art of Partimento: History, Theory, and Practice
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The Machiavellian Moment: Florentine Political Thought and the Atlantic Republican Tradition
- 2018-01-18[PDF] The Art of Skin Health Restoration and Rejuvenation, Second Edition
- 2018-01-15[PDF] The Art of Vinyasa: Awakening Body and Mind through the Practice of Ashtanga Yoga
- 2018-01-10[PDF] The Art of Manliness: Classic Skills and Manners for the Modern Man
- 2018-01-03[PDF] The Art of Resin Clay: Techniques and Projects for Creating Jewelry and Decorative Objects
- 2018-01-03[PDF] The Art of Polymer Clay: Designs and Techniques for Making Jewelry, Pottery, and Decorative Artwork
- 2017-12-31[PDF] The Art of Probability: For Scientists and Engineers
- 2017-12-29[PDF] The Unheavenly Chorus: Unequal Political Voice and the Broken Promise of American Democracy
- 2017-12-26[PDF] The Struggle Within: Prisons, Political Prisoners, and Mass Movements in the United States
- 2017-12-24[PDF] The Form of Cities: Political Economy and Urban Design
- 2017-12-19[PDF] The Semantics-Pragmatics Controversy (Language, Context and Cognition)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.