Posted on 2018-01-25, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Alan Taylor | Publisher: Knopf | Category: Military Science | Language: English | Page: 640 | ISBN: 1400042658 | ISBN13: 9781400042654 |
Description: In this deeply researched and clearly written book, the Pulitzer Prizewinning historian Alan Taylor tells the riveting story of a war that redefined North America. During the early nineteenth century, Britons and Americans renewed their struggle over the legacy of the American Revolution. Soldiers, immigrants, settlers, and Indians fought in a northern borderland to determine the fate of a continent. Would revolutionary republicanism sweep the British from Canada? Or would the British empire contain, divide, and ruin the shaky American republic? In a world of double identities, slippery allegiances, and porous boundaries, the leaders of the republic and of the empire struggled to control their own diverse peoples. The border divided Americansformer Loyalists and Patriotswho fought on both sides in the new war, as did native peoples defending their homelands. Serving in both armies, Irish immigrants battled one another, reaping charges of rebellion and treason. And dissident Americans flirted with secession while aiding the British as smugglers and spies. During the war, both sides struggled to sustain armies in a northern land of immense forests, vast lakes, and stark seasonal swings in the weather. In that environment, many soldiers panicked as they fought their own vivid imaginations, which cast Indians as bloodthirsty savages. After fighting each other to a standstill, the Americans and the British concluded that they could safely share the continent along a border that favored the United States at the expense of Canadians and Indians. Both sides then celebrated victory by forgetting their losses and by betraying the native peoples. A vivid narrative of an often brutal (and sometimes comic) war that reveals much about the tangled origins of the United States and Canada.
The Civil War of 1812: American Citizens, British Subjects, Irish Rebels, & Indian Allies.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35642
- 2014-01-31The Civil War of 1812: American Citizens, British Subjects, Irish Rebels, & Indian Allies
- 2012-05-16Military Uniforms in America Vol.III Long Endure: The Civil War Period 1852-1867
- 2012-01-241861: The Civil War Awakening
- 2012-05-16The Illustrated Directory of Uniforms, Weapons, and Equipment of the Civil War
- 2017-12-19[PDF] The Civil War and Reconstruction: A Student Companion (Student Companions to American History)
- 2017-12-04[PDF] Blow Ye the Trumpet in Zion: Religion in the Civil war Era (Traditional American History series Book 12)
- 2017-10-09[PDF] The Civil War: The Untold Soldier Stories of the American Civil War - United States, American Heroes, Slavery, Abraham Lincoln
- 2017-10-06[PDF] The Civil War: A House Divided (American War Series)
- 2017-01-09[PDF] The Civil War and Reconstruction: A Student Companion (Student Companions to American History)
- 2018-06-23The Civil War Dead and American Modernity
- 2018-04-01The Civil War Dead and American Modernity
- 2018-01-28[PDF] The Civil War on the Mississippi: Union Sailors, Gunboat Captains, and the Campaign to Control the River
- 2018-01-21[PDF] The Civil War Almanac
- 2018-01-18[PDF] The Civil War: A History in Documents (Pages from History)
- 2018-01-18[PDF] The Civil War Art of Keith Rocco (General Military)
- 2018-01-13[PDF] The Civil War: A Narrative: Volume 2: Fredericksburg to Meridian
- 2018-01-12[PDF] The Civil War
- 2018-01-06[PDF] The Civil War For Dummies
- 2018-01-03[PDF] The Civil War at Sea
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.