Posted on 2017-11-03, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Brian Levack | Category: Christianity | Language: English | Page: 360 | ISBN: 0300114729 | ISBN13: 9780300114720 |
Description: In the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, the era of the Reformation, thousands of Europeans were thought to be possessed by demons. In response to their horrifying symptomsâ€”violent convulsions, displays of preternatural strength, vomiting of foreign objects, displaying contempt for sacred objects, and othersâ€”exorcists were summoned to expel the evil spirits from victimsâ€™ bodies. This compelling book focuses on possession and exorcism in the Reformation period, but also reaches back to the fifteenth century and forward to our own times. Entire convents of nuns in French, Italian, and Spanish towns, 30 boys in an Amsterdam orphanage, a small group of young girls in Salem, Massachusettsâ€”these are among the instances of demon possession in the United States and throughout Europe that Brian Levack closely examines, taking into account the diverse interpretations of generations of theologians, biblical scholars, pastors, physicians, anthropologists, psychiatrists, and historians. Challenging the commonly held belief that possession signals physical or mental illness, the author argues that demoniacs and exorcistsâ€”consciously or notâ€”are following their various religious cultures, and their performances can only be understood in those contexts.
The Devil Within: Possession and Exorcism in the Christian West.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33098
- 2017-01-14[PDF] The Devil Within: Possession and Exorcism in the Christian West
- 2017-10-26[PDF] Hostage to the Devil: The Possession and Exorcism of Five Contemporary Americans
- 2010-12-05Malachi Martin - Hostage to the Devil: The Possession and Exorcism of Five Contemporary Americans
- 2009-07-29Hostage to the Devil - Reissue: The Possession and Exorcism of Five Contemporary Americans
- 2019-08-24The Holy Water Incident The True Story of a Daughter's Possession and Exorcism
- 2018-01-02[PDF] Spirit Possession and Exorcism: History, Psychology, and Neurobiology (Brain, Behavior, and Evolution)
- 2017-02-06[PDF] Spirit Possession and Exorcism: History, Psychology, and Neurobiology (Brain, Behavior, and Evolution)
- 2010-04-18Jan Frans van Dijkhuizen - Devil Theatre: Demonic Possession and Exorcism in English Renaissance Drama, 1558-1642
- 2019-08-26Demonic Possession and Exorcism in Early Modern England; Contemporary Texts and their Cultural Contexts
- 2018-04-18Demonic Possession and Exorcism In Early Modern France
- 2017-12-22[PDF] The American West and the Nazi East: A Comparative and Interpretive Perspective - Removed
- 2017-11-25[PDF] The Mythical West: An Encyclopedia of Legend, Lore, and Popular Culture
- 2017-11-17[PDF] The Christian Century and the Rise of the Protestant Mainline
- 2017-11-08[PDF] The Christian Religion and Biotechnology: A Search for Principled Decision-making (International Library of Ethics, Law, and the New Medicine) - Removed
- 2017-11-02[PDF] The Christian Monitors: The Church of England and the Age of Benevolence, 1680-1730 (The Lewis Walpole Series in Eighteenth-C)
- 2017-10-11[PDF] The Perilous West: Seven Amazing Explorers and the Founding of the Oregon Trail
- 2017-10-07[PDF] The North-West Frontier. British India and Afghanistan. A Pictorial History 1839-1947
- 2017-04-06[PDF] The Christian Myth: Origins, Logic, and Legacy
- 2017-01-14[PDF] The Christian Monitors: The Church of England and the Age of Benevolence, 1680-1730 (The Lewis Walpole Series in Eighteenth-C)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.