[PDF] The End of Satisfaction: Drama and Repentance in the Age of Shakespeare (Pretty Little Liars (eBook))
Posted on 2017-10-27, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Heather Hirschfeld | Category: Art related | Language: English | Page: 239 | ISBN: 0801452740 | ISBN13: 9780801452741 |
Description: In The End of Satisfaction, Heather Hirschfeld recovers the historical specificity and the conceptual vigor of the term â€œsatisfactionâ€ during the sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries. Focusing on the termâ€™s significance as an organizing principle of Christian repentance, she examines the ways in which Shakespeare and his contemporaries dramatized the consequences of its re- or de-valuation in the process of Reformation doctrinal change. The Protestant theology of repentance, Hirschfeld suggests, underwrote a variety of theatrical plots â€œto set things rightâ€ in a world shorn of the prospect of â€œmaking enoughâ€ (satisfacere). Hirschfeldâ€™s semantic history traces todayâ€™s use of â€œsatisfactionâ€â€”as an unexamined measure of inward gratification rather than a finely nuanced standard of relational exchangeâ€”to the pressures on legal, economic, and marital discourses wrought by the Protestant rejection of the Catholic sacrament of penance (contrition, confession, satisfaction) and represented imaginatively on the stage. In so doing, it offers fresh readings of the penitential economies of canonical plays including Dr. Faustus, The Revengerâ€™s Tragedy, The Merchant of Venice, and Othello considers the doctrinal and generic importance of lesser-known plays including Enough Is as Good as a Feast and Loveâ€™s Pilgrimage and opens new avenues into the study of literature and repentance in early modern England.
The End of Satisfaction: Drama and Repentance in the Age of Shakespeare (Pretty Little Liars (eBook)).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32816
- 2018-10-29The End Of Utopia Politics and Culture in an Age of Apathy
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Age of Reform, 1250-1550: An Intellectual and Religious History of Late Medieval and Reformation Europe
- 2018-01-26[PDF] The Age of Perversion: Desire and Technology in Psychoanalysis and Culture (Psychoanalysis in a New Key Book Series)
- 2018-01-16[PDF] The Age of Wonder: The Romantic Generation and the Discovery of the Beauty and Terror of Science
- 2018-01-12[PDF] The Age of Insight: The Quest to Understand the Unconscious in Art, Mind, and Brain, from Vienna 1900 to the Present
- 2018-01-12[PDF] The Age of Youth in Argentina: Culture, Politics, and Sexuality from Peron to Videla
- 2018-01-11[PDF] Russian Television Today: Primetime Drama and Comedy (Routledge Contemporary Russia and Eastern Europe Series)
- 2018-01-01[PDF] The Age of Radiance: The Epic Rise and Dramatic Fall of the Atomic Era
- 2018-01-01[PDF] The Age of Heretics: Heroes, Outlaws and Forerunners of Corporate Change
- 2017-12-28[PDF] Intimacy and Sexuality in the Age of Shakespeare
- 2017-12-25[PDF] The Age of Edison: Electric Light and the Invention of Modern America (Audiobook)
- 2017-12-25[PDF] The Age Of Globalization: Anarchists and the Anti-Colonial Imagination
- 2017-12-22[PDF] Acting Like Men: Gender, Drama, and Nostalgia in Ancient Greece
- 2017-12-21[PDF] The Age of Catastrophe: Disaster and Humanity in Modern Times
- 2017-12-20[PDF] The Age of Wonder: How the Romantic Generation Discovered the Beauty and Terror of Science
- 2017-12-12[PDF] The Age of Deleveraging: Investment Strategies for a Decade of Slow Growth and Deflation
- 2017-12-10[PDF] The Age of Wars of Religion, 1000-1650 [2 volumes]: An Encyclopedia of Global Warfare and Civilization (Greenwood Encyclopedias of Modern World Wars)
- 2017-12-10[PDF] The Age of Faith: A History of Medieval Civilization-Christian, Islamic, and Judaic-From Constantine to Dante : A.D. 325-1300 (The Story of Civilization, 4) (Vol 4)
- 2017-12-08[PDF] The Age of Attila: Fifth-Century Byzantium and the Barbarians
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.