Posted on 2017-12-14, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Ugur Umit Ungor | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 1 | ISBN: 019960360X |
Description: The eastern provinces of the Ottoman Empire used to be a multi-ethnic region where Armenians, Kurds, Syriacs, Turks, and Arabs lived together in the same villages and cities. The disintegration of the Ottoman Empire and rise of the nation state violently altered this situation. Nationalist elites intervened in heterogeneous populations they identified as objects of knowledge, management, and change. These often violent processes of state formation destroyed historical regions and emptied multicultural cities, clearing the way for modern nation states. The Making of Modern Turkey highlights how the Young Turk regime, from 1913 to 1950, subjected Eastern Turkey to various forms of nationalist population policies aimed at ethnically homogenizing the region and incorporating it in the Turkish nation state. It examines how the regime utilized technologies of social engineering, such as physical destruction, deportation, spatial planning, forced assimilation, and memory politics, to increase ethnic and cultural homogeneity within the nation state. Drawing on secret files and unexamined records, Ugur Umit Ungor demonstrates that concerns of state security, ethnocultural identity, and national purity were behind these policies. The eastern provinces, the heartland of Armenian and Kurdish life, became an epicenter of Young Turk population policies and the theatre of unprecedented levels of mass violence.
The Making of Modern Turkey: Nation and State in Eastern Anatolia, 1913-50.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34375
- 2017-01-11[PDF] The Making of Modern Turkey: Nation and State in Eastern Anatolia, 1913-50
- 2013-10-11The Making of Modern Turkey: Nation and State in Eastern Anatolia, 1913-50
- 2018-01-13[PDF] The Making of Modern Finance: Liberal Governance and the Gold Standard (RIPE Series in Global Political Economy)
- 2018-01-03[PDF] Impossible Subjects: Illegal Aliens and the Making of Modern America (Politics and Society in Twentieth-Century America)
- 2017-11-27[PDF] The Making of Jordan: Tribes, Colonialism and the Modern State (Library of Modern Middle East Studies)
- 2017-10-24[PDF] The 1972 Munich Olympics and the Making of Modern Germany (Weimar and Now: German Cultural Criticism)
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Making of Romantic Love: Longing and Sexuality in Europe, South Asia, and Japan, 900-1200 CE (Chicago Studies in Practices of Meaning)
- 2018-01-23[PDF] The Making of Modern Liberalism
- 2018-01-19[PDF] The Making of Peace: Rulers, States, and the Aftermath of War
- 2018-01-05[PDF] The Making of Modern South Africa: Conquest, Apartheid, Democracy
- 2017-12-27[PDF] The Emergence of Modern Turkey
- 2017-12-26[PDF] The Making of Modern Japan
- 2017-12-07[PDF] The Making of Strategy: Rulers, States, and War
- 2017-11-29[PDF] The Making of a Quagmire: America and Vietnam During the Kennedy Era
- 2017-11-28[PDF] The Making of Modern Chinese Medicine, 1850-1960 (Contemporary Chinese Studies)
- 2017-10-16[PDF] The Making of Modern Economics: First Edition [Audiobook]
- 2017-01-12[PDF] The Making of Romantic Love: Longing and Sexuality in Europe, South Asia, and Japan, 900-1200 CE (Chicago Studies in Practices of Meaning)
- 2017-01-09[PDF] The Emergence of Modern Turkey
- 2011-09-22The 1972 Munich Olympics and the Making of Modern Germany (Weimer and Now : German Cultural Criticism)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.