Posted on 2017-10-09, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Thomas D. Wilson | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 272 | ISBN: 0813936624 | ISBN13: 9780813936628 |
Description: The statesman and reformer James Oglethorpe was a significant figure in the philosophical and political landscape of eighteenth-century British America. His social contributions?all informed by Enlightenment ideals?included prison reform, the founding of the Georgia Colony on behalf of the "worthy poor," and stirring the founders of the abolitionist movement. He also developed the famous ward design for the city of Savannah, a design that became one of the most important planning innovations in American history. Multilayered and connecting the urban core to peripheral garden and farm lots, the Oglethorpe Plan was intended by its author to both exhibit and foster his utopian ideas of agrarian equality. In his new book, the professional planner Thomas D. Wilson reconsiders the Oglethorpe Plan, revealing that Oglethorpe was a more dynamic force in urban planning than has generally been supposed. In essence, claims Wilson, the Oglethorpe Plan offers a portrait of the Enlightenment, and embodies all of the major themes of that era, including science, humanism, and secularism. The vibrancy of the ideas behind its conception invites an exploration of the plan's enduring qualities. In addition to surveying historical context and intellectual origins, this book aims to rescue Oglethorpeâ€™s work from its relegation to the status of a living museum in a revered historic district, and to demonstrate instead how modern-day town planners might employ its principles. Unique in its exclusive focus on the topic and written in a clear and readable style, The Oglethorpe Plan explores this design as a bridge between New Urbanism and other more naturally evolving and socially engaged modes of urban development.
The Oglethorpe Plan: Enlightenment Design in Savannah and Beyond.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32214
- 2018-01-19[PDF] The Humanities in Architectural Design: A Contemporary and Historical Perspective
- 2018-02-02[PDF] The Fundamentals of Product Design.
- 2018-02-02[PDF] The Handbook of Antenna Design, Vol. 1 (Electromagnetic Waves, Nos. 15 & 16)
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Greening of Architecture: A Critical History and Survey of Contemporary Sustainable Architecture and Urban Design
- 2018-01-29[PDF] The Handbook of Antenna Design, Vol. 2 (Electromagnetic Waves, Nos. 15 & 16)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The Brand Mapping Strategy: Design, Build, and Accelerate Your Brand
- 2018-01-26[PDF] The Puppy Plan (Top of the Pups 1)
- 2018-01-24[PDF] The Imperfect Plan
- 2018-01-24[PDF] The Barnstone Method - Drawing & Design
- 2018-01-21[PDF] The Killerbody Plan
- 2018-01-20[PDF] The Premixing Method: Principle, Design and Construction
- 2018-01-20[PDF] The new business road test: What entrepreneurs and executives should do before writing a business plan (2nd Edition)
- 2018-01-19[PDF] The Metabolism Plan: Discover the Foods and Exercises that Work for Your Body to Reduce Inflammation and Drop Pounds Fast
- 2018-01-19[PDF] The Fundamentals of Interior Design, 2nd edition
- 2018-01-19[PDF] The Fundamentals of Interior Design,1 edition
- 2018-01-19[PDF] The Best of Cover Design: Books, Magazines, Catalogs, and More
- 2018-01-18[PDF] The Seduction Plan
- 2018-01-16[PDF] The Ultimate Guide to Video Game Writing and Design
- 2018-01-15[PDF] The Three Pillars of Zen: Teaching, Practice, and Enlightenment
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.