Posted on 2017-12-13, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Elizabeth Taylor | Publisher: Cambridge Scholars Publishing | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 245 | ISBN: 1443847356 | ISBN13: 9781443847353 |
Description: This biography is of interest to scholars and general readers alike. It tells the previously untold story of two British aristocrats, detailing the drama of their personal lives and examining their rule in the two colonies, India and Australia, in which they served. It raises issues of population, immigration, social mobility, and the ethics of the British Empire, all of which are relevant to today's debates. The Northcotes' life in England is described in the context of a sweep of British political and social history, in which Harry Northcote directly participated: from the passing of the Third Reform Act in 1884-5 to the bitter battles over female suffrage and the composition of the House of Lords at the close of the Edwardian era. The action during the couple's colonial adventures in the early 1900s takes place in two different outposts of Empire: India under the Raj, where Harry wielded autocratic power in a Bombay devastated by plague and famine, and the new democratic settler colony of Australia following the federation of separate colonies on a huge yet sparsely populated continent. The transmission of the culture of the Mother Country to the Empire's furthest reaches is studied through Alice's contribution as Governor's wife. The crucial part that women played in the maintenance of the British Empire in both locations is a key theme. This is a story of landed aristocrats, Victorian politicians and nouveaux riches colonial entrepreneurs. It is about sudden death in 10 Downing Street an obsessive relationship the marrying of New World money with old world class and social elevation from a poor Scottish croft to a historic stately home. It considers the impact on the old world of money made in colonial enterprises, and the cultural exchange resulting from colonial expansion. And it is about the self-managed decline of a British upper class that had held power for almost a thousand years.
The Old World and the New: The Marriage and Colonial Adventures of Lord and Lady Northcote.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34340
- 2017-12-21[PDF] The Great Divide: Nature and Human Nature in the Old World and the New.
- 2017-10-24[PDF] The Faces of Freedom: The Manumission And Emancipation of Slaves in Old World And New World Slavery (The Atlantic World)
- 2017-10-05[PDF] The Old World and the New: 1492-1650 (Canto)
- 2016-12-26[PDF] The Great Divide: Nature and Human Nature in the Old World and the New.
- 2019-01-15The Great Divide Nature and Human Nature in the Old World and the New
- 2019-01-10The Great Divide Nature and Human Nature in the Old World and the New
- 2016-10-20The Old World and the New The Marriage and Colonial Adventures of Lord and Lady Northcote
- 2013-12-18The Old World and the New: 1492-1650 (repost)
- 2013-01-13The Great Divide: Nature and Human Nature in the Old World and the New
- 2012-01-09The Old World and the New: 1492-1650
- 2009-07-26The Faces of Freedom: The Manumission And Emancipation of Slaves in Old World And New World Slavery
- 2007-09-12Plagues, Priests, and Demons: Sacred Narratives and the Rise of Christianity in the Old World and the New
- 2018-01-26[PDF] The Marriage and Family Therapy Career Guide: Doing Well While Doing Good
- 2018-01-01[PDF] Old World and New: Early Medical Care, 1700-1840 (History of Medicine (Facts on File))
- 2017-12-26[PDF] The Secret of Scent: Adventures in Perfume and the Science of Smell
- 2017-12-16[PDF] The Overthrow of Colonial Slavery: 1776-1848 (Verso World History Series)
- 2017-12-05[PDF] The Marriage Motive: A Price Theory of Marriage: How Marriage Markets Affect Employment, Consumption, and Savings - Removed
- 2017-12-05[PDF] The Marriage of Sense and Soul: Integrating Science and Religion
- 2017-11-08[PDF] A Singing Ambivalence: American Immigrants Between Old World and New, 1830-1930
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.