Posted on 2018-01-31, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Donald Keene | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 133 | ISBN: 0231067372 | ISBN13: 9780231067379 |
Description: Perhaps no one is more qualified to write about Japanese culture than Donald Keene, considered the leading interpreter of that nation's literature to the Western world. The author, editor, or translator of nearly three dozen books of criticism and works of literature, Keene now offers an enjoyable and beautifully written introduction to traditional Japanese culture for the general reader. The book acquaints the reader with Japanese aesthetics, poetry, fiction, and theater, and offers Keene's appreciations of these topics. Based on lectures given at the New York Public Library, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the University of California, Los Angeles, the essays -though written by a renowned scholar- presuppose no knowledge of Japanese culture. Keene's deep learning, in fact, enables him to construct an overview as delightful to read as it is informative. His insights often illuminate aspects of traditional Japanese culture that endure today. One of these is the appreciation of "perishability." this appreciation os seen in countless little bits of Japanese life: in temples made of wood instead of durable materials in the preference for objects -such as pottery- that are worn, broken, or used rather than new and in the national love of the delicate cherry blossom, which normally falls after a brief three days of flowering. Keene quotes the fourteenth-century Buddhist monk Kenko, who wrote that "the most precious thing about life is its uncertainty." Throughout the volume, Keene demonstrates that the rich artistic and social traditions of Japan can indeed be understood by readers from our culture. This book will enlighten anyone interested in Japanese literature and culture.
The Pleasures of Japanese Literature.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35827
- 2017-11-20[PDF] A History of Japanese Literature: From the Manyoshu to Modern Times
- 2018-01-31[PDF] The Routledge History of Literature in English: Britain and Ireland
- 2018-01-29[PDF] The Pleasures of Memory: Learning to Read with Charles Dickens
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The Great Gatsby SparkNotes Literature Guide (SparkNotes Literature Guide Series)
- 2018-01-17[PDF] The Handbook of Japanese Adjectives and Adverbs (A Kodansha Dictionary)
- 2018-01-17[PDF] The Genius of Japanese Carpentry: Secrets of an Ancient Craft
- 2018-01-16[PDF] The Grammar of Japanese Mimetics: Perspectives from structure, acquisition, and translation (Routledge Studies in East Asian Linguistics)
- 2018-01-15[PDF] The Grounds of English Literature
- 2018-01-12[PDF] The Written Image: Japanese Calligraphy and Painting from the Sylvan Barnet and William Burto Collection
- 2018-01-11[PDF] The Transformation of Japanese Employment Relations: Reform without Labor
- 2018-01-10[PDF] The Pleasures of Summer
- 2018-01-08[PDF] The Pleasures of Statistics: The Autobiography of Frederick Mosteller - Removed
- 2018-01-04[PDF] The New Testament as Literature: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
- 2018-01-01[PDF] The Language of War: Literature and Culture in the U.S. from the Civil War through World War II
- 2017-12-28[PDF] The Phonetics of Japanese Language: With Reference to Japanese Script
- 2017-12-27[PDF] The Classical Tradition: Art, Literature, Thought
- 2017-12-16[PDF] The Pleasures of Cooking for One
- 2017-12-13[PDF] The Anatomy of Influence: Literature as a Way of Life
- 2017-12-09[PDF] The Eternal Son (Brazilian Literature in Translation Series)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.