[PDF] The Power and Value of Music: Its Effect and Ethos in Classical Authors and Contemporary Music Theory (Medieval Interventions)
Posted on 2018-01-16, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Andreas Kramarz | Publisher: Peter Lang Inc., International Academic Publishers | Category: Music | Language: English | Page: 612 | ISBN: 1433133784 | ISBN13: 9781433133787 |
Description: Nobody doubts that music has a special, somewhat mysterious power. Less clear is how we can evaluate that power. What makes music good or bad? Are there objective criteria for such a distinction? What impact can or should music have on individuals and on society as a whole? What are the factors responsible for the effect of music? This book summarizes and discusses how authors of classical antiquity addressed these questions on musical ethos and how they can be approached from a modern-day perspective. After systematically assembling and assessing the value-carrying characterizations of music in poetic literature, the author reviews all noteworthy Greek and Latin writings which enlighten musical ethos from the theoretical-philosophical perspective. He then carries the intuitions of the ancients into our time by proposing a coherent model to explain the relationship between music, ethos, and emotions based on the results of contemporary research in the disciplines of music psychology and philosophy. The concept of harmony, understood as the appropriate measure or as the balance of opposites and so central to the reflections of the ancient authors, plays a key role in shedding light on the value and impact, both positive and negative, of music in human existence. This book provides the most comprehensive overview available about the effect and ethos of music in antiquity and discusses many related questions of scholarly interest. It includes numerous references provided in the original language with translation, ample empirical material for further research, and an extensive bibliography.
The Power and Value of Music: Its Effect and Ethos in Classical Authors and Contemporary Music Theory (Medieval Interventions).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35383
- 2018-01-08[PDF] The Power and the People: Paths of Resistance in the Middle East
- 2018-01-25[PDF] The Static and Dynamic Continuum Theory of Liquid Crystals: A Mathematical Introduction (Liquid Crystals Book Series)
- 2012-01-21Examination of the U.S. Air Force’s Aircraft Sustainment Needs in the Future and Its Strategy to Meet Those Needs - Committee On Examination Of The U.S. Air Force's Aircraft Sustainment Needs In The Future And Its St
- 2018-01-16[PDF] The Rise and Decline of the American 'Empire': Power and its Limits in Comparative Perspective
- 2017-11-13[PDF] The Voice and Its Doubles: Media and Music in Northern Australia
- 2017-10-16[PDF] The Way and Its Power: Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching and Its Place in Chinese Thought (UNESCO collection of representative works)
- 2017-10-05[PDF] The Decentralized and Networked Future of Value Creation: 3D Printing and its Implications for Society, Industry, and Sustainable Development (Progress in IS) - Removed
- 2012-02-01The Power of Renewables: Opportunities and Challenges for China and the United States - The Power
- 2011-09-24The Power of Renewables: Opportunities and Challenges for China and the United States
- 2019-07-16 !(Deluxe) - Why You Should Read Twitter and Tear Gas: The Power and Fragility of Networked Protest by Zeynep Tufekci Online or Download [^PDF ^MOBI ^EPUB]
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Words and Music of Dolly Parton: Getting to Know Country's 'Iron Butterfly' (The Praeger Singer-Songwriter Collection)
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Brain and Its Self: A Neurochemical Concept of the Innate and Acquired Drives - Removed
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Earth and Its Peoples: A Global History, Volume II: Since 1500
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Class, Power and the State in Capitalist Society: Essays on Ralph Miliband - Removed
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Power of Labelling: How People are Categorized and Why It Matters
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The New York Schools of Music and the Visual Arts (Studies in Contemporary Music and Culture)
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Power of 100!: Kickstart Your Dreams, Build Momentum, and Discover Unlimited Possibility
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Making Social Technologies Work: Leveraging the Power and Managing Perils of Social Technologies in Business (Palgrave Pocket Consultants)
- 2018-01-28[PDF] The DIY Movement in Art, Music and Publishing: Subjugated Knowledges (Routledge Research in Cultural and Media Studies)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.