Posted on 2018-01-04, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Thomas Figueira | Publisher: University of Pennsylvania Press | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 648 | ISBN: 0812234413 | ISBN13: 9780812234411 |
Description: "This superb work belongs in the libraries of all universities. Essential."Choice "The Power of Money is a brilliant and highly original piece of scholarship on a group of inscriptions about which much has been written and whose interpretation is crucial for our understanding of the way in which Athens ruled her empire."Martin Ostwald, Swarthmore College "Thomas Figueira's work on Athenian monetary policy is not only solid, thorough, and meticulously reasoned but also new and original in its conception. It will be a basic text for all concerned with the Athenian empire and its economy well into the new century."Mabel L. Lang, Bryn Mawr College "The Power of Money is potentially the most significant work on the Athenian Empire written in many years. . . . Quite simply, the current understanding of Athens' economic relations with her allies will have to be totally reconsidered as a result of Figueira's work."Stanley Burstein, California State University, Los Angeles "The Power of Money is a major contribution to the scholarship of classical Greece. . . . It will be cited and used with approval in all serious future acounts of fifth-century political history. It will also occupy an important place in the scholarship on ancient coinage and economics. It is masterful scholarship all around, on both the technical and conceptual levels."John H. Kroll, The University of Texas "A work of immense learning."Harold B. Mattingly, American Journal of Archaeology Was Athens an imperialistic state, deserving all the reputation for exploitation that adjective can imply, or was the Athenian alliance, even at its most unequal, still characterized by a convergence of interests? The Power of Money explores monetary and metrological policy at Athens as a way of discerning the character of Athenian hegemony in midfifth-century Greece. It begins with the Athenian Coinage Decree, which, after decades of scholarly attention, still presents unresolved questions for Greek historians about content, intent, date, and effect. Was the Decree an act of commercial imperialism or simply the codification of what was already current practice? Figueira interprets the Decree as one in a series concerned with financial matters affecting the Athenian city-state and emerging from the way the collection of tribute functioned in the alliance that we call the Athenian empire. He contends that the Decree served primarily to legislate the status quo ante. Thomas Figueira is Professor of Classics and of Ancient History at Rutgers University, New Brunswick.
The Power of Money: Coinage and Politics in the Athenian Empire.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35021
- 2017-12-20[PDF] Capital of Capital: Money, Banking, and Power in New York City, 1784-2012 (Columbia Studies in the History of U.S. Capitalism)
- 2017-01-13[PDF] Capital of Capital: Money, Banking, and Power in New York City, 1784-2012 (Columbia Studies in the History of U.S. Capitalism)
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Salafism in Nigeria: Islam, Preaching, and Politics (The International African Library)
- 2017-12-19[PDF] Instagram Power: Build Your Brand and Reach More Customers with the Power of Pictures
- 2017-11-23[PDF] The Tibetan Empire in Central Asia: A History of the Struggle for Great Power Among Tibetans, Turks, Arabs, and Chinese During the Early Middle Ages
- 2017-11-20[PDF] Getting Out Alive: News, Sport and Politics at the BBC
- 2017-11-06[PDF] Becoming a Nazi Town: Culture and Politics in Gottingen between the World Wars (Social History, Popular Culture, and Politics in Germany) [German]
- 2017-10-31[PDF] Bearing Society in Mind: Theories and Politics of the Social Formation (Disruptions)
- 2016-12-29[PDF] Instagram Power: Build Your Brand and Reach More Customers with the Power of Pictures
- 2018-02-02[PDF] Thinking After Europe: Jan Patocka and Politics
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Troubled Empire: China in the Yuan and Ming Dynasties (History of Imperial China)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Alternative Food Networks: Knowledge, Practice, and Politics (Routledge Studies of Gastronomy, Food and Drink)
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Electrical Power Unit Commitment: Deterministic and Two-Stage Stochastic Programming Models and Algorithms (SpringerBriefs in Energy) - Removed
- 2018-01-21[PDF] The Roman Empire and the Silk Routes: The Ancient World Economy and the Empires of Parthia, Central Asia and Han China
- 2018-01-20[PDF] Sustainable Power Systems: Modelling, Simulation and Analysis (Reliable and Sustainable Electric Power and Energy Systems Management) - Removed
- 2018-01-19[PDF] Michael Oakeshott on Religion, Aesthetics, And Politics (Eric Voegelin Institute Series in Political Philosophy)
- 2018-01-14[PDF] Vehicle Power Management: Modeling, Control and Optimization (Power Systems)
- 2018-01-13[PDF] Thermal Power Plants: Modeling, Control, and Efficiency Improvement
- 2018-01-12[PDF] Statistical Power Analysis: A Simple and General Model for Traditional and Modern Hypothesis Tests
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.