Posted on 2018-01-31, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Thomas C. Holt | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 160 | ISBN: 0674004434 | ISBN13: 9780674004436 |
Description: "The problem of the twentieth century is the problem of the color-line," W. E. B. Du Bois wrote in 1903, and his words have proven sadly prophetic. As we enter the twenty-first century, the problem remains and yet it, and the line that defines it, have shifted in subtle but significant ways. This brief book speaks powerfully to the question of how the circumstances of race and racism have changed in our time and how these changes will affect our future. Foremost among the book's concerns are the contradictions and incoherence of a system that idealizes black celebrities in politics, popular culture, and sports even as it diminishes the average African-American citizen. The world of the assembly line, boxer Jack Johnson's career, and The Birth of a Nation come under Holt's scrutiny as he relates the malign progress of race and racism to the loss of industrial jobs and the rise of our modern consumer society. Understanding race as ideology, he describes the processes of consumerism and commodification that have transformed, but not necessarily improved, the place of black citizens in our society. As disturbing as it is enlightening, this timely work reveals the radical nature of change as it relates to race and its cultural phenomena. It offers conceptual tools and a new way to think and talk about racism as social reality.
The Problem of Race in the Twenty-first Century (The Nathan I. Huggins Lectures).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35843
- 2017-11-02[PDF] Evangelicals, Worship and Participation: Taking a Twenty-first Century Reading (Liturgy, Worship and Society)
- 2017-10-30[PDF] Applying Rawls in the Twenty-First Century: Race, Gender, the Drug War, and the Right to Die
- 2010-03-16The Problem of Race in the Twenty-first Century (Nathan I Huggins Lectures)
- 2019-07-25* (Admirable) - Why You Should Read This Is an Uprising: How Nonviolent Revolt Is Shaping the Twenty-First Century by Mark Engler Online or Download [*MOBI *PDF *EPUB]
- 2019-07-25* (Admirable) - Why You Should Read Nomadland: Surviving America in the Twenty-First Century by Jessica Bruder Online or Download [*MOBI *PDF *EPUB]
- 2018-10-10Race, Color, Identity Rethinking Discourses about 'Jews' in the Twenty-First Century
- 2018-02-26Higher Education Exchange between America and the Middle East in the Twenty-First Century
- 2018-02-02[PDF] Collaborative Art in the Twenty-First Century (Routledge Advances in Art and Visual Studies)
- 2018-02-01[PDF] International Negotiation in the Twenty-First Century (UT Austin Studies in Foreign and Transnational Law)
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Imperialism in the Twenty-First Century: Globalization, Super-Exploitation, and Capitalism's Final Crisis
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Transnationalism and German-Language Literature in the Twenty-First Century (Palgrave Studies in Modern European Literature) [German]
- 2018-01-31[PDF] On the Courthouse Lawn: Confronting the Legacy of Lynching in the Twenty-first Century
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Banking Beyond Banks and Money: A Guide to Banking Services in the Twenty-First Century (New Economic Windows)
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Global Ageing in the Twenty-First Century: Challenges, Opportunities and Implications
- 2018-01-30[PDF] A Short History of the U.S. Working Class: From Colonial Times to the Twenty-First Century (Revolutionary Studies)
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Anthropologist as Writer: Genres and Contexts in the Twenty-First Century
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Phenomenology for the Twenty-First Century - Removed
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Neo-Victorianism: The Victorians in the Twenty-First Century, 1999-2009
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Engines of Innovation: The Entrepreneurial University in the Twenty-First Century
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.