Posted on 2017-10-07, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Partha Mitter | Publisher: Reaktion Books | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 256 | ISBN: 1861893183 | ISBN13: 9781861893185 |
Description: The tumultuous last decades of British colonialism in India were catalyzed by more than the work of Mahatma Gandhi and violent conflicts. The concurrent upheavals in Western art driven by the advent of modernism provided Indian artists in post-1920 India a powerful tool of colonial resistance. Distinguished art historian Partha Mitter now explores in this brilliantly illustrated study this lesser known facet of Indian art and history. Taking the 1922 Bauhaus exhibition in Calcutta as the debut of European modernism in India, The Triumph of Modernism probes the intricate interplay of Western modernism and Indian nationalism in the evolution of colonial-era Indian art. Mitter casts his gaze across a myriad of issues, including the emergence of a feminine voice in Indian art, the decline of oriental art, and the rise of naturalism and modernism in the 1920s. Nationalist politics also played a large role, from the struggle of artists in reconciling Indian nationalism with imperial patronage of the arts to the relationship between primitivism and modernism in Indian art. An engagingly written study anchored by 150 lush reproductions, The Triumph of Modernism will be essential reading for scholars of art, British studies, and Indian history.
The Triumph of Modernism: India's Artists and the Avant-garde, 1922-47.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32142
- 2017-10-07[PDF] The Triumph of Modernism: India's Artists and the Avant-garde, 1922-47
- 2010-01-31The Triumph of Modernism: India's Artists and the Avant-garde, 1922-47
- 2017-12-22[PDF] The Avant-Garde in Interwar England: Medieval Modernism and the London Underground
- 2017-01-10[PDF] The Avant-Garde in Interwar England: Medieval Modernism and the London Underground
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Europa! Europa?: The Avant-Garde, Modernism and the Fate of a Continent (European Avant-Garde and Modernism Studies)
- 2017-12-03[PDF] A Triumph of Genius: Edwin Land, Polaroid, and the Kodak Patent War
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Adaptation and the Avant-Garde: Alternative Perspectives on Adaptation Theory and Practice
- 2018-01-26[PDF] The Twilight of the Avant-Garde: Spanish Poetry 1980-2000 (Liverpool University Press - Contemporary French & Francophone Cultures) [Spanish]
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Imagining Marketing: Art, Aesthetics and the Avant-Garde (Routledge Interpretive Marketing Research)
- 2018-01-05[PDF] Buddhist Landscapes in Central India: Sanchi Hill and Archaeologies of Religious and Social Change, c. Third Century BC to Fifth Century AD (UCL Institute of Archaeology Publications)
- 2018-01-02[PDF] Art Revolution: Alternative Approaches for Fine Artists and Illustrators
- 2017-12-30[PDF] Antidiets of the Avant-Garde: From Futurist Cooking to Eat Art
- 2017-12-24[PDF] Theories of the Avant-Garde Theatre: A Casebook from Kleist to Camus
- 2017-12-20[PDF] Army Film and the Avant Garde: Cinema and Experiment in the Czechoslovak Military
- 2017-12-16[PDF] Russian Art: From Neoclassism to the Avant Garde 1800-1917 : Painting Sculpture Architecture
- 2017-12-11[PDF] Counterculture Colophon: Grove Press, the Evergreen Review, and the Incorporation of the Avant-Garde (Post*45)
- 2017-12-03[PDF] Developments in Psychiatry in India: Clinical, Research and Policy Perspectives - Removed
- 2017-11-30[PDF] In the Shadow of Yalta: Art and the Avant-garde in Eastern Europe 1945-1989
- 2017-11-23[PDF] The Working Garde Manger
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.