Posted on 2017-11-28, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Pamela M. King | Publisher: D.S.Brewer | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 258 | ISBN: 1843840987 | ISBN13: 9781843840985 |
Description: WINNER of the 2007 David Bevington Prize The York Play is the earliest near-complete English civic mystery cycle. It evolved constantly throughout its long performance history, but the text that was recorded in the York Register shows that it was already a mature and elaborate civic festival by the time it was written down. This study uncovers the Cycle's connection with worship in York, in the sense both of devotional practice and of civic honour, informing a particular period in the cultural history of the city. The pageants in the Register show in their different ways how the community which devised and performed the Cycle regarded the celebration of the great summer feast of Corpus Christi. Moreover the principles of selection that give the Cycle its structure reflect the broader pattern of the liturgical calendar, with its other feasts and fasts. The Cycle bears witness not only to the practices of religious observance in York, but also to the ecclesiastical politics in which the city was caught up from the very beginning of the fifteenth century. PAMELA KING is Professor of Medieval Studies at the University of Bristol.
The York Mystery Cycle and the Worship of the City (Westfield Medieval Studies).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33871
- 2010-09-04The York Mystery Cycle and the Worship of the City (Westfield Medieval Studies)
- 2017-11-23[PDF] The City in Slang: New York Life and Popular Speech
- 2017-11-01[PDF] The City Builders: Property Development in New York and London, 1980-2000 (Studies in Government & Public Policy)
- 2017-10-06[PDF] The City That Became Safe: New York's Lessons for Urban Crime and Its Control (Studies in Crime and Public Policy)
- 2017-10-06[PDF] The City of Smoke and Mirrors: An Armadillo Mystery
- 2017-01-11[PDF] The City That Became Safe: New York's Lessons for Urban Crime and Its Control (Studies in Crime and Public Policy)
- 2017-01-09[PDF] The City in Slang: New York Life and Popular Speech
- 2018-01-20[PDF] The City Rehearsed: Object, Architecture, and Print in the Worlds of Hans Vredeman de Vries (The Classical Tradition in Architecture)
- 2018-01-06[PDF] The Handbook of Social Studies in Health and Medicine
- 2018-01-05[PDF] The City as a Terminal (Transport and Mobility)
- 2018-01-03[PDF] The Essential Tension: Selected Studies in Scientific Tradition and Change
- 2018-01-02[PDF] The City, the River, the Bridge: Before and after the Minneapolis Bridge Collapse
- 2017-12-24[PDF] The Voices of Medieval Bulgaria, Seventh-Fifteenth Century: The Records of a Bygone Culture (East Central and Eastern Europe in the Middle Ages, 450-1450)
- 2017-12-24[PDF] Making Place: Space and Embodiment in the City (21st Century Studies)
- 2017-12-16[PDF] The Beginnings of Medieval Romance: Fact and Fiction, 1150-1220 (Cambridge Studies in Medieval Literature)
- 2017-12-15[PDF] The City Is Ours: Squatting and Autonomous Movements in Europe from the 1970s to the Present
- 2017-12-14[PDF] The Trouble with Twin Studies: A Reassessment of Twin Research in the Social and Behavioral Sciences
- 2017-12-13[PDF] The Revolutions of Wisdom: Studies in the Claims and Practice of Ancient Greek Science (Sather Classical Lectures)
- 2017-11-16[PDF] The City of Tomorrow: Sensors, Networks, Hackers, and the Future of Urban Life (The Future Series)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.