Posted on 2017-12-11, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Hugh Ridley | Category: Music | Language: English | Page: 234 | ISBN: 9042035218 | ISBN13: 9789042035218 |
Description: This study bridges literature and music at an exciting and controversial point, offering the lover of music and literature and the specialist reader an insight into the relationship between Wagner's operas and the nineteenth century novel, including comparisons with Rigoletto and Der Rosenkavalier in their evolution from other forms. It discusses matters of genre and national tradition, placing Wagner's works in the heritage of the European Enlightenment. Comparisons of Wagner's works with the novel have been fleeting, denoting only their length and complexity. Examining in principle and in detail the proximity of Wagner's themes and techniques to the practices of the Realist novel, this study sheds original light on major issues of Wagner's works and on opera as genre. The book trawls extensively in two research fields. It looks to the established Wagner literature for understandings of the musical procedures which map his works onto the prose fiction, while reading Wagner's operas against the backdrop of the European novel, rather than against German Romantic fiction. It revisits Adorno's music sociology and his seminal study of Wagner, but repositions many elements of his argument. Unusually, this book adopts a critical stance to Nietzsche's view of Wagner. In marked contrast to Nietzsche, the study regards parallels between Wagner and Flaubert as an enrichment of our understanding of Wagner's achievement. The book concludes with a major question of European cultural history: why it is that - in common with Italy, but in marked contrast to France or England - Germany's most representative works in the nineteenth century are operas rather than novels.
Wagner and the Novel: Wagner's Operas and the European Realist Novel: An exploration of genre.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34290
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Lobbying in the European Union: Interest Groups, Lobbying Coalitions, and Policy Change
- 2017-12-31[PDF] Constituting Europe: The European Court of Human Rights in a National, European and Global Context (Studies on Human Rights Conventions)
- 2017-11-11[PDF] Women of the European Union: The Politics of Work and Daily Life (Routledge International Studies of Women and Place)
- 2017-11-06[PDF] Judgments of the European Court of Human Rights - Effects and Implementation (Studies of the Max Planck Institute Luxembourg for International, European and Regulatory Procedural Law)
- 2017-10-06[PDF] Cybersecurity in the European Union: Resilience and Adaptability in Governance Policy (New Security Challenges) - Removed
- 2017-02-13[PDF] Women of the European Union: The Politics of Work and Daily Life (Routledge International Studies of Women and Place)
- 2018-02-01[PDF] History of the European Association for Haematopathology
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Sociology of the European Union - Removed
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Proceedings of the European Computing Conference: Volume 1 (Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering) - Removed
- 2018-01-09[PDF] Regulating and Supervising European Financial Markets: More Risks than Achievements - Removed
- 2018-01-07[PDF] Fragments of the European City (Topographics)
- 2018-01-07[PDF] Tsunamis in the European-Mediterranean Region: From Historical Record to Risk Mitigation
- 2018-01-06[PDF] Politics in the European Union
- 2017-12-28[PDF] Big Business: The European Experience in the Twentieth Century
- 2017-11-19[PDF] Pricing Carbon: The European Union Emissions Trading Scheme
- 2017-11-05[PDF] Proceedings of the European Automotive Congress EAEC-ESFA 2015 - Removed
- 2017-10-11[PDF] Law of the European Union (Foundation Studies in Law Series)
- 2017-04-09[PDF] Religious and Sexual Identities: A Multi-faith Exploration of Young Adults
- 2017-02-09[PDF] Proceedings of the European Computing Conference: Volume 1 (Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering) - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.