Posted on 2017-11-13, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Gregory Maguire | Category: Fantasy Novels | Language: English | Page: 409 | ISBN: B001HTRHT0 | ISBN13: 9780060987107 |
Description: I must start this review by saying that it is certainly not a book you can take lightly. It takes some serious effort to stick with it, particularly once you get about half way through and the more light-hearted experiences of Elphaba, the wicked witch, at Shiz fade into her darker, secretive experiences at the Emerald City. After two failed attempts to tackle to book, fascinated by the subject matter both times, I finally got through it, inspired to read it because of the Broadway musical based on the book that I found myself mesmerized by (go see it, despite how different it is). The book is a richly textured account of the life of the Wicked Witch of the West, here given an actual name, Elphaba, as she moves from student at Shiz University, an outcast and roommate to G(a)linda, to secretive activist in the Emerald City, to maunt (nun), to Auntie Witch, later to become The Wicked Witch of the West. Throughout, the detailed religion, culture, and government of Oz supplement the narrative beautifully, adding depth to what could have been simply an unfounded story of what could happen to some flatly portrayed green girl from Oz. This story really makes you care for the witch and understand that even the most evil of people could simply be the victims of chance. I thought the book began and ended very strongly, but the narrative sagged a bit in the middle, particularly as Elphaba becomes a nun and travels rather boringly across the desert to the Winkie stronghold of Kiamo Ko. The story stays rather low-key for a while, but picks up when some more familiar characters, such as Nessarose, Elphaba's sister, Elphaba's father, Frexspar, and Glinda, reenter the novel. From this point out, the novel receives its well-deserved finale, in which it goes out with a bold glory rarely seen in novels. Of course, no life is without its dull moments, and even these are not completely flat. The prose is witty and never becomes to boorish. What really mesmerized me was fitting together the story in this novel into the context of the original Oz book and movie of the same (revised) name. I would reccomend this to someone who has quite a bit of undistracted time. It's important not to take very long breaks in reading this novel, as the details become more important toward the end, when the witch begins looking back upon her life. The novel should be a very interesting read for anyone familiar with The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum or the movie from MGM. Its richly detailed characters and interesting plot choices make for a wonderful read that you're surely not soon to forget. Tough it out through the middle so you can finish this great book.
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West Wicked.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33424
- 2017-12-20[PDF] Cosby: His Life and Times
- 2012-05-18The Illustrated Red Baron: The Life and Times of Manfred von Richthofen
- 2012-03-07Wizard: The Life and Times of Nikola Tesla: Biography of a Genius (Audiobook) By Marc J. Seifer, read by Simon Prebble
- 2012-05-23The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck #6 (of 12)
- 2012-05-23The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck #6B (of 12)
- 2012-05-23The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck #8B (of 12)
- 2012-05-23The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck #3 (of 12)
- 2012-05-23The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck #3B (of 12)
- 2011-08-17I Want to Take You Higher: The Life and Times of Sly and the Family Stone (Book)
- 2019-08-01$%(Great) - Why You Should Read Sticky Fingers: The Life and Times of Jann Wenner and Rolling Stone Magazine by Joe Hagan Online or Download [*PDF *EPUB *MOBI]
- 2019-07-25@(Good) - Why You Should Read Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg by Irin Carmon Online or Download [EPUB MOBI PDF]
- 2019-07-17@(Good) - Why You Should Read Some Enchanted Evenings: The Glittering Life and Times of Mary Martin by David Kaufman Online or Download [EPUB MOBI PDF]
- 2018-02-01[PDF] On Some Faraway Beach: The Life and Times of Brian Eno
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Great Physicists: The Life and Times of Leading Physicists from Galileo to Hawking
- 2018-01-31[PDF] INSANELY GREAT: The Life and Times of Macintosh, the Computer that Changed Everything
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Life and Times of the Atomic Bomb: Nuclear Weapons and the Transformation of Warfare
- 2018-01-27[PDF] A Difficult Woman: The Challenging Life and Times of Lillian Hellman
- 2018-01-27[PDF] King's Mistress, Queen's Servant: The Life and Times of Henrietta Howard
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Highway to Hell: The Life and Times of AC/DC Legend Bon Scott
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.