Posted on 2017-10-21, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Malcolm Gaskill | Category: Occultism | Language: English | Page: 384 | ISBN: 0719561205 | ISBN13: 9780719561207 |
Description: In the spring of 1645, at the height of the English Civil War, a minor gentleman from Essex named Matthew Hopkins initiated the most savage witch-hunt in English history. By the autumn of 1647 at least 250 East Anglian innocents - most of them women - had been captured, interrogated and hauled before the courts. More than a hundred were convicted, condemned and hanged. Their alleged crimes ranged from destroying property and inflicting fatal illnesses, to feeding animal familiars with blood and having sexual intercourse with the devil. Accompanied by John Stearne, a godly neighbour from his parish, the twenty-two-year-old Hopkins toured the eastern counties on horseback, meticulously extracting evidence of satanic pacts and dispatching suspects for trial. Hopkins fashioned himself into the 'Witch Finder General' although the torture techniques used had no justification in religion or law, nor was his campaign officially sanctioned. The witch-hunt was an extraordinary event, and would long be remembered as the poisonous fruit of religious extremism, grown wild in a political vacuum, never to be repeated. Witchfinders tells the true and terrible story of Matthew Hopkins and his horrifying crusade as witch-hunting fever gripped the country. Malcolm Gaskill uses his great story-telling talents to bring mid-seventeenth century alive.
Witchfinders: A Seventeenth-century English Tragedy.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32622
- 2011-11-08Evolving Hamlet: Seventeenth-Century English Tragedy and the Ethics of Natural Selection - Removed
- 2017-10-25[PDF] Domesticity and Dissent in the Seventeenth Century: English Women Writers and the Public Sphere
- 2018-03-05Harmony and the Balance: An Intellectual History of Seventeenth-Century English Economic Thought
- 2017-12-03[PDF] Companion to Twentieth-Century English Poetry
- 2012-01-07Domesticity and Dissent in the Seventeenth Century: English Women Writers and the Public Sphere - Katharine Gillespie
- 2011-10-20Domesticity and Dissent in the Seventeenth Century: English Women Writers and the Public Sphere
- 2011-10-19England's Troubles: Seventeenth-Century English Political Instability in European Context
- 2011-04-08Nancy Rosenfeld - The human Satan in seventeenth-century English literature: From Milton to Rochester
- 2010-10-25England's Troubles: Seventeenth-Century English Political Instability in European Context
- 2010-10-21Katharine Gillespie, "Domesticity and Dissent in the Seventeenth Century: English Women Writers and the Public Sphere"
- 2010-06-25Domesticity and Dissent in the Seventeenth Century: English Women Writers and the Public Sphere
- 2010-04-12England's Troubles: Seventeenth-Century English Political Instability in European Context
- 2009-09-02Nancy Rosenfeld - The Human Satan in Seventeenth-Century English Literature
- 2009-01-30Thomas N. Corns: A History of Seventeenth-Century English Literature
- 2018-01-13[PDF] The Continental Model: Selected French Critical Essays of the Seventeenth Century in English Translation [French]
- 2018-11-28Landed Estates and Rural Inequality in English History From the Mid-Seventeenth Century to the Prese...
- 2018-11-20Dispensationalism before Darby Seventeenth-Century and Eighteenth-Century English Apocalypticism
- 2018-03-27Landed Estates and Rural Inequality in English History: From the Mid-Seventeenth Century to the Present
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Vesper and Compline Music for Two Principal Voices (Seventeenth-Century Italian Sacred Music) [Italian]
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.