Tag: History and Military
Posted on 2013-12-02. By anonymous.
2003 | pages: 255 | ISBN: 0807855014 | PDF | 12,5 mb
Between 1901 and 1907, a broad coalition of Protestant churches sought to expel newly elected Reed Smoot from the Senate, arguing that as an apostle in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Smoot was a lawbreaker and therefore unfit to be a lawmaker. The resulting Senate investigative hearing featured testimony on every peculiarity of Mormonism, especially its polygamous family structure. The Smoot hearing ultimately mediated a compromise between Progressive Era Protestantism and Mormonism and resolved the nation's long-standing "Mormon Problem." On a broader scale, Kathleen Flake shows how this landmark hearing provided the occasion for the country--through its elected representatives, the daily press, citizen petitions, and social reform activism--to reconsider the scope of religious free exercise in the new century.
Flake contends that the Smoot hearing was the forge in which the Latter-day Saints, the Protestants, and the Senate hammered out a model for church-state relations, shaping for a new generation of non-Protestant and non-Christian Americans what it meant to be free and religious. In addition, she discusses the Latter-day Saints' use of narrative and collective memory to retain their religious identity even as they changed to meet the nation's demands.
- Ebooks list page : 24022
- 2016-10-24The Politics of American Religious Identity
- 2010-01-26The Politics of American Religious Identity: The Seating of Senator Reed Smoot, Mormon Apostle
- 2013-06-17"American Jewish Identity Politics
- 2011-05-22American Jewish Identity Politics
- 2019-07-02Colonizing Christianity Greek and Latin Religious Identity in the Era of the Fourth Crusade
- 2019-05-31Power, Sect and State in Syria: The Politics of Marriage and Identity amongst the Druze
- 2019-01-31The Politics and Ethics of Identity In Search of Ourselves
- 2018-12-28Peacock Revolution American Masculine Identity and Dress in the Sixties and Seventies (Dress and Fashion Research)
- 2018-11-15Statehouse and Greenhouse The Emerging Politics of American Climate Change Policy
- 2018-11-15African American Religious History A Documentary Witness
- 2018-11-14Encyclopedia of American Religious History
- 2018-09-22Punk Rock is My Religion Straight Edge Punk and 'Religious' Identity
- 2018-08-07Punk Rock is My Religion Straight Edge Punk and 'Religious' Identity
- 2018-06-28Peacock Revolution American Masculine Identity and Dress in the Sixties and Seventies
- 2018-06-06Politics In The Andes Identity, Conflict, Reform
- 2018-05-23Peacock Revolution: American Masculine Identity and Dress in the Sixties and Seventies
- 2018-05-13The Myth of American Religious Freedom
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Invented Lives, Imagined Communities: The Biopic and American National Identity (Suny Series, Horizons of Cinema)
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Jewish World of Sigmund Freud: Essays on Cultural Roots and the Problem of Religious Identity
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.