Posted on 2014-04-23. By anonymous.
English | 2012 | ISBN: 1591844894 | 304 pages | EPUB, MOBI | 4 MB
If youâ€™ve ever bought a personal finance book, watched a TV show about stock picking, listened to a radio show about getting out of debt, or attended a seminar to help you plan for your retirement, youâ€™ve probably heard some version of these quotes:
â€œWhatâ€™s keeping you from being rich? In most cases, it is simply a lack of belief.â€ â€”SUZE ORMAN, The Courage to Be Rich
â€œAre you latte-ing away your financial future?â€ â€”DAVID BACH, Smart Women Finish Rich
â€œI know youâ€™re capable of picking winning stocks and holding on to them.â€ â€”JIM CRAMER, Mad Money
Theyâ€™re common refrains among personal finance gurus. Thereâ€™s just one problem: those and many similar statements are false.
For the past few decades, Americans have spent billions of dollars on personal finance products. As salaries have stagnated and companies have cut back on benefits, weâ€™ve taken matters into our own hands, embracing the can-do attitude that if weâ€™re smart enough, we can overcome even daunting financial obstacles. But thatâ€™s not true.
In this meticulously reported and shocking book, journalist and former financial columnist Helaine Olen goes behind the curtain of the personal finance industry to expose the myths, contradictions, and outright lies it has perpetuated. She shows how an industry that started as a response to the Great Depression morphed into a behemoth that thrives by selling us products and services that offer little if any help.
Olen calls out some of the biggest names in the business, revealing how even the most respected gurus have engaged in dubious, even deceitful, practicesâ€”from accepting payments from banks and corporations in exchange for promoting certain products to blaming the victims of economic catastrophe for their own financial misfortune. Pound Foolish also disproves many myths about spending and saving, including:
* Small pleasures can bankrupt you: Gurus popularized the idea that cutting out lattes and other small expenditures could make us millionaires. But reducing our caffeine consumption will not offset our biggest expenses: housing, education, health care, and retirement.
* Disciplined investing will make you rich: Gurus also love to show how steady investing can turn modest savings into a huge nest egg at retirement. But these calculations assume a healthy market and a lifetime without any setbacksâ€”two conditions that have no connection to the real world.
* Women need extra help managing money: Product pushers often target women, whose alleged financial ignorance supposedly leaves them especially at risk. In reality, women and men are both terrible at handling finances.
* Financial literacy classes will prevent future economic crises: Experts like to claim mandatory sessions on personal finance in school will cure many of our money ills. Not only is there little evidence this is true, the entire movement is largely funded and promoted by the financial services sector.
Weaving together original reporting, interviews with experts, and studies from disciplines ranging from behavioral economics to retirement planning, Pound Foolish is a compassionate and compelling book that will change the way we think and talk about our money.
- Ebooks list page : 26388
- 2013-12-17Pound Foolish: Exposing the Dark Side of the Personal Finance Industry (repost)
- 2018-12-05Pound Foolish Exposing the Dark Side of the Personal Finance Industry
- 2013-09-04Pound Foolish: Exposing the Dark Side of the Personal Finance Industry - Removed
- 2011-11-19Dogs and Demons: Tales from the Dark Side of Japan
- 2018-09-20A Critique of Creative Shari'ah Compliance in the Islamic Finance Industry
- 2018-08-02A Critique of Creative Shari'ah Compliance in the Islamic Finance Industry
- 2018-05-10The Personal Finance Calculator How to Calculate the Most Important Financial Decisions in Your Life
- 2018-01-22[PDF] The Personal Finance Application
- 2018-01-11[PDF] The Personal Finance Calculator : How to Calculate the Most Important Financial Decisions in Your Life
- 2016-12-11The Personal Finance Calculator How to Calculate the Most Important Financial Decisions in Your ...
- 2014-06-03Women of Wine: The Rise of Women in the Global Wine Industry (repost)
- 2014-05-17Efficiency and Productivity Growth: Modelling in the Financial Services Industry (Repost)
- 2014-04-02The Personal Security Handbook [Repost]
- 2014-03-14Financial Distress and Corporate Turnaround: An Empirical Analysis of the Automotive Supplier Industry (Repost)
- 2014-03-08Cruise Ship Blues: The Underside of the Cruise Ship Industry (Repost)
- 2014-02-16The Global Airline Industry (Repost)
- 2013-12-30Accounting and Financial Management: Developments in the International Hospitality Industry (repost)
- 2013-11-10ISO 13485: A Complete Guide to Quality Management in the Medical Device Industry [Repost]
- 2013-08-18Industrial Dynamics and the Evolution of Markets in the Mutual Fund Industry (repost)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.