Religion and American Cultures: An Encyclopedia of Traditions, Diversity, and Popular Expressions (repost)
Posted on 2013-02-12. By anonymous.
English | 2003-08-26 | ISBN: 157607238X | 1046 pages | PDF | 14.1 mb
According to the foreword of this set, there is a movement in scholarship, begun in the 1970s with the works of Clifford Geertz, that advocates viewing religion as a cultural concept. Overall, the foreword continues, it has proven easier to view religions in distant places from this perspective, rather than the local American varieties. The intent of this encyclopedia seems to be to support this anthropological view of religions and to provide reference material on American religions as "forms of cultural expression."
Each of the three volumes has very different content, though all relate to the central focus. Volume 1 contains 13 long chapters on major divisions within American religion, whether defined by ethnic tradition ("African American Religions," "Asian American Religious Communities") or by belief system ("Catholicism in America," "Islam in America), with several distinct sections within each chapter. Each section, the work of an individual contributor, ends with see also references and a bibliography. While what has been chosen for inclusion seems appropriate and instructional, it is necessary to consider what has been left out. For example, "Protestantism in America" is merely 20 pages long and does little to define the differences, cultural or otherwise, separating the denominations. There is not even a word in this chapter on either the Amish or the Mennonites, each surely worthy of mention in any discussion of religion and culture.
- Ebooks list page : 21328
- 2010-04-08Religion and American Cultures: An Encyclopedia of Traditions, Diversity, and Popular Expressions
- 2008-12-05Religion and American Cultures: An Encyclopedia of Traditions, Diversity, and Popular Expressions
- 2011-10-17Pop Cults: Religion and Popular Music (Repost)
- 2017-10-04[PDF] Religion and American Cultures [3 volumes]: An Encyclopedia of Traditions, Diversity, and Popular Expressions
- 2011-11-18Religion and American Cultures: An Encyclopedia
- 2017-12-16[PDF] Mummies around the World: An Encyclopedia of Mummies in History, Religion, and Popular Culture
- 2017-11-20[PDF] Humanism: Essays on Race, Religion and Popular Culture
- 2017-10-09[PDF] Religion and Popular Music in Europe: New Expressions of Sacred and Secular Identity
- 2014-04-04Hoyle's Encyclopedia of Card Games: Rules of All the Basic Games and Popular Variations (Repost)
- 2014-03-28Encyclopedia of Politics, the Media, and Popular Culture [Repost]
- 2013-11-10Sacred and Secular: Religion and Politics Worldwide [Repost]
- 2013-02-14Richard A. Spears, Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions (Repost) - Removed
- 2012-06-10Between Sacred and Profane: Researching Religion and Popular Culture
- 2011-11-15Redeeming the Dial: Radio, Religion, and Popular Culture in America
- 2011-11-06Pop Cults: Religion and Popular Music
- 2011-08-17Pop Cults: Religion and Popular Music
- 2010-10-10NTC's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions (repost)
- 2010-09-19Gordon Lynch - Between Sacred and Profane: Researching Religion and Popular Culture
- 2010-02-07NTC's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions (Repost) - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.