Posted on 2018-12-07, by elegance.
Sangharakshita - Parables, Myths and Symbols of Mahayana Buddhism in the White Lotus Sutra
English | Size: 339.62 MB
Parables, Myths and Symbols of Mahayana Buddhism in the White Lotus Sutra
A series of talks by Sangharakshita
In "Parables, Myths and Symbols of Mahayana Buddhism in the White Lotus Sutra", Sangharakshita remarks: "The White Lotus Sutra is not only a religious classic, but a masterpiece of symbolic spiritual literature." Enough said! Reference for these lectures: scripture of the Lotus Blossom of the Fine Dharma, translated by L. Hurvitz (Columbia University Press).
1. The Universal Perspective of Mahayana Buddhism
Sangharakshita explores the contrast between Hinayana ("Little Vehicle") and Mahayana ("Great Vehicle") Buddhism. Pursuing the theme of the Mahayana, he outlines its path, its historical roots and its principal scriptures, particularly the White Lotus Sutra.
2. The Drama of Cosmic Enlightenment
After considering the Sutra's history and the meaning of its title, Sangharakshita provides a summary of its dramatic structure, with brief explanations of the significance of certain details.
3. Transcending the Human Predicament
In investigating various symbolic elements in the Parable of the Burning House, we are reminded of the importance of responding to "the call of the Divine". The general significance of the parable is then discussed under the headings of escapism, universalism and sectarianism.
4. The Myth of the Return Journey
The Parable of the Return Journey has a theme which resonates with many similar stories in world literature. Here its important elements are to the personal quest for meaning.
5. Symbols of Life and Growth
The Parables of the Rain Cloud, and the Parable of the Sun and Moon both tell us that spiritual development is an organic process of growth, and that the Dharma nourishes all impartially, though people follow different patterns of development.
6. Five Element Symbolism and the Stupa
What is "The Stupa of Abundant Treasures" in The White Lotus Sutra? Sangharakshita explains the origins of the Buddhist stupa, and its connections with the five elements and the balance of 'yin' and 'yang'.
7. The Jewel in the Lotus
The Sutra includes the story of a drunkard who is shown a jewel tied in his clothing, and also introduces us to the Bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara, whose well-known mantra "Om Mani Padme Hum" reveals a key principle of the story and of the sutra itself.
8. The Archetype of the Divine Healer
The Divine Healer, identifiable in Egyptian and Greek myths, also appears in the White Lotus Sutra as both the Medicine Buddha and the Good Physician, in the parable of that name, who leaves his sons to cure the
I recommends Buy premimum account for High speed+parallel downloads!
- Ebooks list page : 38004
- 2018-12-01Sangharakshita - Parables, Myths and Symbols of Mahayana Buddhism in the White Lotus Sutra
- 2018-01-13[PDF] Myths and Symbols in Indian Art and Civilization
- 2012-06-14"Myths and Symbols in Indian Art and Civilization" ed. by Heinrich Robert Zimmer (Repost)
- 2012-02-06“Myths and Symbols in Indian Art and Civilization” ed. by Heinrich Robert Zimmer - Heinrich Robert Zimmer
- 2011-12-25Myths and Symbols in Indian Art and Civilization - Heinrich Robert Zimmer
- 2011-12-11Myths and Symbols in Indian Art and Civilization - Heinrich Robert Zimmer
- 2011-12-09Myths and Symbols in Indian Art and Civilization - Heinrich Robert Zimmer
- 2011-11-27Myths and Symbols in Indian Art and Civilization - Heinrich Robert Zimmer
- 2011-11-20"Myths and Symbols in Indian Art and Civilization" ed. by Heinrich Robert Zimmer
- 2011-11-17"Myths and Symbols in Indian Art and Civilization" ed. by Heinrich Robert Zimmer
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Politics and Religion in Modern Japan: Red Sun, White Lotus
- 2013-03-01Politics and Religion in Modern Japan: Red Sun, White Lotus - Removed
- 2017-11-25[PDF] Mahayana Buddhism: The Doctrinal Foundations (The Library of Religious Beliefs and Practices)
- 2017-11-22[PDF] Faces of Compassion: Classic Bodhisattva Archetypes and Their Modern Expression - An Introduction to Mahayana Buddhism
- 2017-11-05[PDF] Nagarjuna in Context: Mahayana Buddhism and Early Indian Culture
- 2017-10-24[PDF] Myths, Symbols and Legends of Solar System Bodies (The Patrick Moore Practical Astronomy Series)
- 2017-02-14[PDF] Mahayana Buddhism: The Doctrinal Foundations (The Library of Religious Beliefs and Practices)
- 2017-01-12[PDF] Nagarjuna in Context: Mahayana Buddhism and Early Indian Culture
- 2011-12-31American Indian Myths and Legends (Pantheon Fairy Tale & Folklore Library)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.