Posted on 2019-11-04, by selverine.
The specter of polygamy haunts Mormonism. More than a century after the practice was banned, it casts a long shadow that obscures people's perceptions of the lives of today's Latter-day Saint women. Many still see them as second-class citizens, oppressed by the church and their husbands, and forced to stay home and take care of their many children.
Sister Saints offers a history of modern Mormon women that takes aim at these stereotypes, showing that their stories are much more complex than previously thought. Women in the Utah territory received the right to vote in 1870-fifty years before the nineteenth amendment-only to have it taken away by the same federal legislation that forced the end of polygamy. Progressive and politically active, Mormon women had a profound impact on public life in the first few decades of the twentieth century. They then turned inward, creating a domestic ideal that shaped Mormon culture for generations. The women's movement of the 1970s sparked a new, vigorous-and hotly contested-Mormon feminism that divided Latter-day Saint women. By the twenty-first century more than half of all Mormons lived outside the United States, and what had once been a small community of pioneer women had grown into a diverse global sisterhood.
- Ebooks list page : 41709
- 2017-12-30[PDF] International Relations Since the End of the Cold War: New and Old Dimensions
- 2017-12-01[PDF] Wings Over Somerset: Aircraft Crashes since the End of World War II
- 2017-11-08[PDF] Naval Innovation for the 21st Century: The Office of Naval Research Since the End of the Cold War
- 2017-01-11[PDF] International Relations Since the End of the Cold War: New and Old Dimensions
- 2014-04-30International Relations Since the End of the Cold War: New and Old Dimensions
- 2011-05-28Saints and Heroes Since the Middle Ages (Yesterday's Classics)
- 2019-07-09*(Incredible) - Why You Should Read Women After All: Sex, Evolution, and the End of Male Supremacy by Melvin Konner Online or Download [!PDF !EPUB !MOBI]
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Communist Women in Scotland: Red Clydeside from the Russian Revolution to the End of the Soviet Union (International Library of Political Studies) [Russian]
- 2017-12-03[PDF] Women After All: Sex, Evolution, and the End of Male Supremacy
- 2017-12-02[PDF] Heroes of the Reich Volume One: To mark 70-years since the Second World War's end, Heroes of the Reich avoids victors propaganda. Heroes is a ... by their loyalty to the Reich. (Volume 1)
- 2017-02-10[PDF] Women After All: Sex, Evolution, and the End of Male Supremacy
- 2014-06-18The End of Men: And the Rise of Women
- 2014-06-13The End of Men: And the Rise of Women
- 2012-10-19Download The End of Men And the Rise of Women by Hanna Rosin - Removed
- 2011-11-19The End of Energy: The Unmaking of America's Environment, Security, and Independence
- 2011-09-16Cultural Contact and the Making of European Art since the Age of Exploration (Bettie Allison Rand Lectures in Art History) - Removed
- 2011-08-11The End of Energy: The Unmaking of America's Environment, Security, and Independence
- 2011-08-07Women and the Machine: Representations from the Spinning Wheel to the Electronic Age
- 2011-07-31Cultural Contact and the Making of European Art since the Age of Exploration (Bettie Allison Rand Lectures in Art History) - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.