Author: Katrin Becker, Melanie Becker, John H. Schwarz
Posted on 2007-06-22, updated at 2010-10-13. By anonymous.
- Author: Katrin Becker, Melanie Becker, John H. Schwarz
String theory is one of the most exciting and challenging areas of modern theoretical physics. This book guides the reader from the basics of string theory to recent developments. It introduces the basics of perturbative string theory, world-sheet supersymmetry, space-time supersymmetry, conformal field theory and the heterotic string, before describing modern developments, including D-branes, string dualities and M-theory. It then covers string geometry and flux compactifications, applications to cosmology and particle physics, black holes in string theory and M-theory, and the microscopic origin of black-hole entropy. It concludes with Matrix theory, the AdS/CFT duality and its generalizations. This book is ideal for graduate students and researchers in modern string theory, and will make an excellent textbook for a one-year course on string theory. It contains over 120 exercises with solutions, and over 200 homework problems with solutions available on a password protected website for lecturers at www.cambridge.org/9780521860697.
"This is the first comprehensive textbook on string theory to also offer an up-to-date picture of the most important theoretical developments of the last decade, including the AdS/CFT correspondence and flux compactifications, which have played a crucial role in modern efforts to make contact with experiment. An excellent resource for graduate students as well as researchers in high-energy physics and cosmology."
Nima Arkani-Hamed, Harvard University
"An exceptional introduction to string theory that contains a comprehensive treatment of all aspects of the theory, including recent developments. The clear pedagogical style and the many excellent exercises should provide the interested student or researcher a straightforward path to the frontiers of current research."
David Gross, Director of the Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics, University of California, Santa Barabara and winner of the Nobel Prize for Physics in 2004
"Masterfully written by pioneers of the subject, comprehensive, up-to-date and replete with illuminating problem sets and their solution, String Theory and M-theory: A Modern Introduction provides an ideal preparation for research on the current forefront of the fundamental laws of nature. It is destined to become the standard textbook in the subject."
Andrew Strominger, Harvard University
"This book is a magnificcent resource for students and researchers alike in the rapidly evolving field of string theory. It is unique in that it is targeted for students without any knowledge of string theory and at the same time it includes the very latest developments of the field, all presented in a very fluid and simple form. The lucid description is nicely complemented by very instructive problems. I highly recommend this book to all researchers interested in the beautiful field of string theory."
Cumrun Vafa, Harvard University
"This elegantly written book will be a valuable resource for students looking for an entryway to the vast and exciting topic of string theory. The authors have skillfully made a selection of topics aimed at helping the beginner get up to speed. I am sure it will be widely read."
Edward Witten, Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton and winner of the Fields Medal in 1990.
- Ebooks list page : 809
- 2013-04-12Katrin Becker - String Theory and M-Theory: A Modern Introduction [1 eBook (PDF)]
- 2012-05-26String Theory and M-Theory: A Modern Introduction by Katrin Becker, Melanie Becker and John H. Schwarz (Repost)
- 2011-09-03String Theory and M-Theory: A Modern Introduction (Repost)
- 2011-01-13String Theory and M-Theory: A Modern Introduction (repost)
- 2007-06-06String Theory and M-Theory: A Modern Introduction
- 2012-01-15Fourier Series. A Modern Introduction: Volume 2 (2nd edition)
- 2017-12-03[PDF] Quantum Field Theory: A Modern Introduction
- 2017-01-09[PDF] Quantum Field Theory: A Modern Introduction
- 2013-11-26Quantum Field Theory: A Modern Introduction (repost)
- 2011-12-06Quantum Field Theory: A Modern Introduction
- 2009-07-18Quantum Field Theory: A Modern Introduction (Repost)
- 2007-06-06Quantum Field Theory: A Modern Introduction, 1993-03
- 2010-02-26Victor Jeleniewski Seidler - Jewish Philosophy and Western Culture: A Modern Introduction
- 2017-12-30[PDF] A Mathematical Introduction to String Theory: Variational Problems, Geometric and Probabilistic Methods
- 2017-12-26[PDF] String Theory and Particle Physics: An Introduction to String Phenomenology
- 2017-12-25[PDF] An Introduction to String Theory and D-brane Dynamics: With Problems and Solutions
- 2017-12-25[PDF] An Introduction to String Theory and D-Brane Dynamics
- 2017-12-25[PDF] An Introduction to Black Holes, Information And The String Theory Revolution: The Holographic Universe
- 2014-04-21A Mathematical Introduction to String Theory: Variational Problems, Geometric and Probabilistic Methods
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.