Posted on 2009-01-23. By anonymous.
Publisher: University of California Press 2005 | 555 Pages | ISBN: 0520238567 | PDF | 3.1 MB
John Muir was an early proponent of a view we still hold today--that much of California was pristine, untouched wilderness before the arrival of Europeans. But as this groundbreaking book demonstrates, what Muir was really seeing when he admired the grand vistas of Yosemite and the gold and purple flowers carpeting the Central Valley were the fertile gardens of the Sierra Miwok and Valley Yokuts Indians, modified and made productive by centuries of harvesting, tilling, sowing, pruning, and burning. Marvelously detailed and beautifully written, Tending the Wild is an unparalleled examination of Native American knowledge and uses of California's natural resources that reshapes our understanding of native cultures and shows how we might begin to use their knowledge in our own conservation efforts.
M. Kat Anderson presents a wealth of information on native land management practices gleaned in part from interviews and correspondence with Native Americans who recall what their grandparents told them about how and when areas were burned, which plants were eaten and which were used for basketry, and how plants were tended. The complex picture that emerges from this and other historical source material dispels the hunter-gatherer stereotype long perpetuated in anthropological and historical literature. We come to see California's indigenous people as active agents of environmental change and stewardship. Tending the Wild persuasively argues that this traditional ecological knowledge is essential if we are to successfully meet the challenge of living sustainably.
No Mirror(s) Please !!!
Very nice thanks. Migwitch...NF
- Ebooks list page : 2224
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Center Places and Cherokee Towns: Archaeological Perspectives on Native American Architecture and Landscape in the Southern Appalachians
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Land of the Tejas: Native American Identity and Interaction in Texas, A.D. 1300 to 1700 (Clifton and Shirley Caldwell Texas Heritage)
- 2018-01-16[PDF] Amulets, Effigies, Fetishes, and Charms: Native American Artifacts and Spirit Stones from the Northeast
- 2017-10-24[PDF] That the People Might Live: Native American Literatures and Native American Community
- 2017-03-11Native American Whalemen and the World Indigenous Encounters and the Contingency of Race
- 2017-01-09[PDF] That the People Might Live: Native American Literatures and Native American Community
- 2017-12-05[PDF] Native American Medicine: The Top 10 Native American Medicine Treatments Known To Man (Herbal Remedies - Natural Treatments - Organic Medical - Naturopathy)
- 2014-06-12The Semantic Web for Knowledge and Data Management: Technologies and Practices
- 2014-06-06The Semantic Web for Knowledge and Data Management: Technologies and Practices (repost)
- 2013-02-21The Semantic Web For Knowledge And Data Management: Technologies And Practices
- 2013-01-17The Semantic Web for Knowledge and Data Management: Technologies and Practices (Repost)
- 2011-08-13Steel Bridge Construction, Myths & Realities
- 2009-12-20The Semantic Web for Knowledge and Data Management: Technologies and Practices
- 2009-12-17The Semantic Web for Knowledge and Data Management: Technologies and Practices (Premier Reference Source)
- 2018-12-20Red Pedagogy Native American Social and Political Thought
- 2018-01-20[PDF] Native American Medicine and Little Medicine
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Native American Medicine and Little Medicine
- 2017-12-08[PDF] Encyclopedia of Native American Wars and Warfare (Facts on File Library of American History)
- 2017-12-03[PDF] Native American History and Culture
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.