Tag: History and Military
Posted on 2013-04-28. By anonymous.
2001 | 384 Pages | ISBN: 0805067728 | PDF | 8 MB
In this comprehensive narrative, Cadbury (Altering Eden) tells the story of the first fossilists, whose discoveries challenged the religious convictions of their day as they struggled with the implications of new science. It begins with Mary Anning, who unearthed the skeleton of a monstrous creature beneath the cliffs of Dorset in 1812; Anning would earn the respect of her male peers, but not entry into their exclusive societies. Men like the eccentric Oxford don William Buckland sought to reconcile the biblical account of Noah's flood with the fossil record, while the brilliant Georges Cuvier posited a theory of "catastrophes" to explain the progression of life while still holding true to scripture. The ambitious Richard Owen, who coined the term dinosaur and claimed credit for the discovery of dinosaurs, used his prestige to discount early evolutionary theories in favor of his own backward-looking notions about a biblical past. Unlike his rival Gideon Mantell, whose studies in geology and paleontology laid the foundation for the new science, Owen rarely set foot in a quarry or dig, but he did, according to Cadbury, mine his share of fellow scientists' works for ideas he then claimed as his own. Cadbury makes much of the rivalry between the two men, and to good effect. Her focus on Owen's injustices against Mantell, Owen's corresponding rise to fame, and Mantell's ultimately tragic end lends momentum to her narrative, culminating in the advent of the evolutionary idea with Darwin's On the Origin of Species. This is a must-read book for dinosaur enthusiasts, and for anyone who has ever wondered about the source of our present-day assumptions and unanswered questions about human origins.
- Ebooks list page : 22024
- 2011-07-20Terrible Lizard: The First Dinosaur Hunters and the Birth of a New Science
- 2011-02-14Terrible Lizard: The First Dinosaur Hunters and the Birth of a New Science
- 2012-06-09Focke Wulf 190: The Birth of the Butcher Bird 1939-1943 (Luftwaffe at War 8)
- 2019-01-10Dutch Cartesianism and the Birth of Philosophy of Science
- 2018-12-24Dutch Cartesianism and the Birth of Philosophy of Science
- 2017-12-15[PDF] The Great Disruption: Why the Climate Crisis Will Bring on the End of Shopping and the Birth of a New World [Audiobook]
- 2014-04-06Cracking the Einstein Code: Relativity and the Birth of Black Hole Physics (repost) - Removed
- 2014-03-23The Great Disruption: Why the Climate Crisis Will Bring on the End of Shopping and the Birth of a New World (Audiobook)
- 2014-02-17Devil in the Grove: Thurgood Marshall, the Groveland Boys, and the Dawn of a New America (repost)
- 2013-09-04The Design of Well-Structured and Correct Programs (Monographs in Computer Science) (Repost)
- 2013-09-03More Money Than God: Hedge Funds and the Making of a New Elite (Repost) - Removed
- 2013-07-28Evaluation of Science and Technology Education at the Dawn of a New Millennium (repost)
- 2013-05-17Cracking the Einstein Code: Relativity and the Birth of Black Hole Physics (repost)
- 2013-02-12Viruses: The Origin and Evolution of Deadly Pathogens (New Biology) (repost)
- 2012-12-11Walt Whitman and the Birth of Modern American Poetry [repost]
- 2012-09-23Atoms, Metaphors and Paradoxes: Niels Bohr and the Construction of a New Physics (Repost)
- 2012-08-22The Great Disruption: Why the Climate Crisis Will Bring On the End of Shopping and the Birth of a New World
- 2012-05-11When China Rules the World: The End of the Western World and the Birth of a New Global Order
- 2012-05-08Cracking the Einstein Code: Relativity and the Birth of Black Hole Physics (Repost)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.