Tag: History and Military
Posted on 2013-06-10. By anonymous.
2010 | ISBN 0691143129 | 400 pages | PDF | 3,9 MB
In The Axe and the Oath, one of the world's leading medieval historians presents a compelling picture of daily life in the Middle Ages as it was experienced by ordinary people. Writing for general readers, Robert Fossier vividly describes how these vulnerable people confronted life, from birth to death, including childhood, marriage, work, sex, food, illness, religion, and the natural world. While most histories of the period focus on the ideas and actions of the few who wielded power and stress how different medieval people were from us, Fossier concentrates on the other nine-tenths of humanity in the period and concludes that "medieval man is us." Drawing on a broad range of evidence, Fossier describes how medieval men and women encountered, coped with, and understood the basic material facts of their lives. We learn how people related to agriculture, animals, the weather, the forest, and the sea; how they used alcohol and drugs; and how they buried their dead. But The Axe and the Oath is about much more than simply the material demands of life. We also learn how ordinary people experienced the social, cultural, intellectual, and spiritual aspects of medieval life, from memory and imagination to writing and the Church. The result is a sweeping new vision of the Middle Ages that will entertain and enlighten readers.
- Ebooks list page : 22451
- 2014-06-09Negotiating Clerical Identities: Priests, Monks and Masculinity in the Middle Ages (repost) - Removed
- 2014-06-03Noble Ideals and Bloody Realities: Warfare in the Middle Ages (Repost)
- 2014-05-29A Hermit's Cookbook: Monks, Food and Fasting in the Middle Ages [Repost]
- 2014-03-16Imagination, Meditation, and Cognition in the Middle Ages (repost)
- 2014-03-12The Carmelites and Antiquity: Mendicants and their Pasts in the Middle Ages (Repost)
- 2013-11-06Knowledge, Discipline and Power in the Middle Ages (repost)
- 2013-08-09Intellectual Life in the Middle Ages (repost)
- 2013-04-20The Rise of Medieval Towns and States in East Central Europe (East Central and Eastern Europe in the Middle Ages...) (repost)
- 2013-03-09Science and Technology in World History, Vol. 2: Early Christianity, the Rise of Islam and the Middle Ages (repost)
- 2013-02-23A Hermit's Cookbook: Monks, Food and Fasting in the Middle Ages (Repost)
- 2013-02-02Cathedral, Forge and Waterwheel: Technology and Invention in the Middle Ages (repost)
- 2012-11-05One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic: A History of the Church in the Middle Ages [repost]
- 2012-07-19A Hermit's Cookbook: Monks, Food and Fasting in the Middle Ages [Repost]
- 2012-05-30Time, Work, and Culture in the Middle Ages (Repost)
- 2012-02-24Cathedral, Forge and Waterwheel: Technology and Invention in the Middle Ages [Repost]
- 2013-06-21Beyond the Fifth Century: Interactions with Greek Tragedy from the Fourth Century BCE to the Middle Ages (Repost)
- 2013-02-17Women in England in the Middle Ages (repost)
- 2013-02-11Reason & Faith: Philosophy in the Middle Ages [repost]
- 2013-01-29Living in the Middle Ages (Repost)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.