Posted on 2012-05-08. By anonymous.
Duke University Press Books | 2002 | ISBN: 0822329174 | English | 209 pages | PDF | 10.35 MB
The Body Multiple is an extraordinary ethnography of an ordinary disease. Drawing on fieldwork in a Dutch university hospital, Annemarie Mol looks at the day-to-day diagnosis and treatment of atherosclerosis. A patient information leaflet might describe atherosclerosis as the gradual obstruction of the arteries, but in hospital practice this one medical condition appears to be many other things. From one moment, place, apparatus, specialty, or treatment, to the next, a slightly different â€œatherosclerosisâ€ is being discussed, measured, observed, or stripped away. This multiplicity does not imply fragmentation; instead, the disease is made to cohere through a range of tactics including transporting forms and files, making images, holding case conferences, and conducting doctor-patient conversations.
The Body Multiple juxtaposes two distinct texts. Alongside Molâ€™s analysis of her ethnographic materialâ€”interviews with doctors and patients and observations of medical examinations, consultations, and operationsâ€”runs a parallel text in which she reflects on the relevant literature. Mol draws on medical anthropology, sociology, feminist theory, philosophy, and science and technology studies to reframe such issues as the disease-illness distinction, subject-object relations, boundaries, difference, situatedness, and ontology. In dialogue with one another, Molâ€™s two texts meditate on the multiplicity of reality-in-practice.
Presenting philosophical reflections on the body and medical practice through vivid storytelling, The Body Multiple will be important to those in medical anthropology, philosophy, and the social study of science, technology, and medicine.
- Ebooks list page : 18512
- 2011-10-16The Body Multiple: Ontology in Medical Practice (Science and Cultural Theory)
- 2011-07-12The Body Multiple: Ontology in Medical Practice (Science and Cultural Theory)
- 2013-12-08Using Expressive Arts to Work With the Mind, Body and Emotions: Theory and Practice [Repost]
- 2014-05-30Interactive Experience in the Digital Age: Evaluating New Art Practice [Repost]
- 2014-05-17The Heritage Game: Economics, Policy, and Practice (repost)
- 2014-02-19Nutrition and the Female Athlete: From Research to Practice [Repost]
- 2013-11-20Virtues in Medical Practice (repost)
- 2013-11-10The Mechanics of Ancient Egyptian Magical Practice (Repost)
- 2013-10-05J. Marks - The Vitamins: Their Role in Medical Practice
- 2013-05-30Teaching the Holocaust: educational dimensions, principles and practice (repost)
- 2013-05-07The design and manufacture of medical devices [Repost]
- 2013-03-30The Forensic Laboratory Handbook Procedures and Practice (repost)
- 2013-02-24Underwater Archaeology: The NAS Guide to Principles and Practice (repost)
- 2013-02-09Engineering the User Interface: From Research to Practice [Repost]
- 2012-12-23Ashtanga Yoga - The Intermediate Series: Mythology, Anatomy, and Practice (repost)
- 2012-12-07Ana Brett, Ravi Singh - Kundalini Yoga - The Body Electric - All-In-One Workout (repost)
- 2012-10-20Archaeology Underwater: The NAS Guide to Principles and Practice (Repost)
- 2012-09-15The Design of Studies for Medical Research [Repost]
- 2012-07-06Neuroimmunology of the Skin: Basic Science to Clinical Practice [Repost]
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.