The Cadaver King and the Country Dentist A True Story of Injustice in the American South [Audiobook]
Posted on 2018-06-04, by nokia241186.
Radley Balko,? Tucker Carrington?, Robert Fass (Narrator), "The Cadaver King and the Country Dentist: A True Story of Injustice in the American South"
ASIN: B0716Z5P24, ISBN: 1478990430 | 2018 | kbps | ~14:45:00 | 418 MB
This is a tale of two tragedies.
At the heart of the first is Dr. Steven Hayne, a doctor the State of Mississippi employed as its de facto medical examiner for two decades. Beginning in the late 1980s, he performed anywhere from 1,200 to 1,800 autopsies a year, five times more than is recommended, performed at night in the basement of a local funeral home. Autopsy reports claimed organs had been observed and weighed when, in reality, they had been surgically removed from the body years before. Hayne, the only game in town, also often brought in local dentist and self-styled ''bite-mark specialist'' Dr. Michael West, who would discover marks on victim's bodies, at times invisible to the naked eye, and then match those marks - ''indeed and without doubt'' - to law enforcement's lead suspect.
This leads to the second tragic tale: that of Kennedy Brewer and Levon Brooks, two black men each convicted in separate cases of the brutal rape and murder of young girls. Dr. Hayne's autopsy and Dr. West's bite-mark matching formed the bases for their convictions. Combined, the two men served over thirty years in Parchman Farm, Mississippi's notorious penitentiary, before being exonerated in 2008. Brooks' and Brewer's wrongful convictions lie at the intersection of both the most pressing problem facing this country's criminal justice system - structural injustice built on the historic foundation of race and class - as well as with the much more contemporary but equally egregious problem of invalid forensic science. The old problem is inextricably bound up with and exacerbates the new.
In The Cadaver King and the Country Dentist, Radley Balko and Tucker Carrington write a true story of Southern gothic horror - of two innocent men wrongly convicted of vicious crimes and the legally condoned failures that allowed it to happen. Balko and Carrington will shine a light on the institutional and professional failures that allowed this tragic, astonishing story to happen, identify where it may have happened elsewhere, and show how to prevent it from happening again.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 36341
- 2018-06-05The Cadaver King and the Country Dentist A True Story of Injustice in the American South
- 2012-01-11Word Histories and Mysteries: From Abracadabra to Zeus - Editors Of The American Heritage Dictionaries
- 2012-01-08Word Histories and Mysteries: From Abracadabra to Zeus - Editors Of The American Heritage Dictionaries
- 2011-12-31Tocqueville and the American Experiment (Audiobook) - Removed
- 2011-11-28How the Scots Invented the Modern World: The True Story of How Western Europe's ... Our World and Everything in It
- 2011-10-21Creek Paths and Federal Roads: Indians, Settlers, and Slaves and the Making of the American South - Removed
- 2011-08-23How the Scots Invented the Modern World: The True Story of How Western Europe's ... Our World and Everything in It
- 2011-07-31Creek Paths and Federal Roads: Indians, Settlers, and Slaves and the Making of the American South - Removed
- 2011-05-21The American Heritage Book of English Usage: A Practical and Authoritative Guide to Contemporary English
- 2017-12-04[PDF] Country Soul: Making Music and Making Race in the American South
- 2013-02-06A Country of Vast Designs: James K. Polk, the Mexican War and the Conquest of the American Continent (Audiobook)
- 2012-06-07Retreat, Hell! We Just Got Here: The American Expeditionary Force in France 1917-18 (Osprey General Military) - Removed
- 2012-05-20Over There!: The American Soldier in World War I (The G.I.Series #7)
- 2011-11-08The American Rhetorical Construction of the Iranian Nuclear Threat
- 2011-10-15The American Heritage Book of English Usage
- 2019-02-26Soldiers of Reason The Rand Corporation and the Rise of the American Empire [Audiobook]
- 2019-02-25Peter's War A New England Slave Boy and the American Revolution [Audiobook]
- 2019-02-23All the Wild That Remains Edward Abbey, Wallace Stegner, and the American West [Audiobook]
- 2019-01-30Soldiers of Reason The Rand Corporation and the Rise of the American Empire [Audiobook]
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.