Posted on 2018-11-16, by phaelx
Author: Adrienne Mayor
Size: 5.7 MB
Griffins, Cyclopes, Monsters, and Giants--these fabulous creatures of classical mythology continue to live in the modern imagination through the vivid accounts that have come down to us from the ancient Greeks and Romans. But what if these beings were more than merely fictions? What if monstrous creatures once roamed the earth in the very places where their legends first arose? This is the arresting and original thesis that Adrienne Mayor explores in The First Fossil Hunters. Through careful research and meticulous documentation, she convincingly shows that many of the giants and monsters of myth did have a basis in fact--in the enormous bones of long-extinct species that were once abundant in the lands of the Greeks and Romans. As Mayor shows, the Greeks and Romans were well aware that a different breed of creatures once inhabited their lands. They frequently encountered the fossilized bones of these primeval beings, and they developed sophisticated concepts to explain the fossil evidence, concepts that were expressed in mythological stories. The legend of the gold-guarding griffin, for example, sprang from tales first told by Scythian gold-miners, who, passing through the Gobi Desert at the foot of the Altai Mountains, encountered the skeletons of Protoceratops and other dinosaurs that littered the ground. Like their modern counterparts, the ancient fossil hunters collected and measured impressive petrified remains and displayed them in temples and museums; they attempted to reconstruct the appearance of these prehistoric creatures and to explain their extinction. Long thought to be fantasy, the remarkably detailed and perceptive Greek and Roman accounts of giant bone finds were actually based on solid paleontological facts. By reading these neglected narratives for the first time in the light of modern scientific discoveries, Adrienne Mayor illuminates a lost world of ancient paleontology.
Science & Math >> Biological Sciences >> Paleontology >> PaleozoologyHistory >> Historical Study & Educational Resources >> ArchaeologyHistory >> Ancient Civilizations
Sponsored High Speed Downloads
The First Fossil Hunters: Dinosaurs, Mammoths, and Myth in Greek and Roman Times
Download this book
No active download links here?
Please check the description for download links if any or do a search to find alternative books.
- Ebooks list page : 37773
- 2017-11-26[PDF] The First Fossil Hunters: Dinosaurs, Mammoths, and Myth in Greek and Roman Times
- 2013-05-23The First Fossil Hunters: Paleontology in Greek and Roman Times (repost)
- 2011-03-30The First Fossil Hunters: Paleontology in Greek and Roman Times (Repost)
- 2010-03-20The First Fossil Hunters: Paleontology in Greek and Roman Times
- 2011-07-20Terrible Lizard: The First Dinosaur Hunters and the Birth of a New Science
- 2017-12-02[PDF] The Fossil Hunter: Dinosaurs, Evolution, and the Woman Whose Discoveries Changed the World (MacSci)
- 2017-01-12[PDF] The Fossil Hunter: Dinosaurs, Evolution, and the Woman Whose Discoveries Changed the World (MacSci)
- 2013-04-28Terrible Lizard: The First Dinosaur Hunters and the Birth of a New Science (Repost)
- 2012-06-06It Never Snows In September: The German View Of Market-Garden And The Battle of Arnhem September 1944
- 2012-03-13Yakovlev Yak-23: The First Yakovlev Jet Fighters (Mushroom Yellow Series No.6124)
- 2012-01-08New In Chess: The First 25 Years 1984 - 2009, An Anthology - Removed
- 2011-08-26Apollo 11 - The First Giant Leap for Mankind
- 2011-07-20The Fossil Hunter: Dinosaurs, Evolution, and the Woman Whose Discoveries Changed the World
- 2011-02-14Terrible Lizard: The First Dinosaur Hunters and the Birth of a New Science
- 2010-06-11The Fossil Hunter: Dinosaurs, Evolution, and the Woman Whose Discoveries Changed the World - Removed
- 2018-04-19The First Atomic Age Scientists, Radiations, and the American Public, 1895-1945
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Proceedings of the First Symposium on Aviation Maintenance and Management-Volume I (Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering)
- 2018-01-31[PDF] The First Love Story: Adam, Eve, and Us
- 2018-01-28[PDF] The First Snap-fit Handbook. Creating and Managing Attachments for Plastics Parts
No comments for "The First Fossil Hunters: Dinosaurs, Mammoths, and Myth in Greek and Roman Times".
Add Your Comments
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.