Posted on 2019-07-11, by voska89.
The Gospel of Kindness: Animal Welfare and the Making of Modern America by Janet M. Davis
2016 | ISBN: 0199733155 | English | 320 pages | PDF | 28 MB
When we consider modern American animal advocacy, we often think of veganism, no-kill shelters, Internet campaigns against trophy hunting, or celebrities declaring that they would "rather go naked" than wear fur. Contemporary critics readily dismiss animal protectionism as a modern secular movement that privileges animals over people. Yet the movement's roots are deeply tied to the nation's history of religious revivalism and social reform.
In The Gospel of Kindness, Janet M. Davis explores the broad cultural and social influence of the American animal welfare movement at home and overseas from the Second Great Awakening to the Second World War. Dedicated primarily to laboring animals at its inception in an animal-powered world, the movement eventually included virtually all areas of human and animal interaction. Embracing animals as brethren through biblical concepts of stewardship, a diverse coalition of temperance groups, teachers, Protestant missionaries, religious leaders, civil rights activists, policy makers, and anti-imperialists forged an expansive transnational "gospel of kindness," which defined animal mercy as a signature American value. Their interpretation of this "gospel" extended beyond the New Testament to preach kindness as a secular and spiritual truth. As a cultural product of antebellum revivalism, reform, and the rights revolution of the Civil War era, animal kindness became a barometer of free moral agency, higher civilization, and assimilation. Yet given the cultural, economic, racial, and ethnic diversity of the United States, its empire, and other countries of contact, standards of kindness and cruelty were culturally contingent and potentially controversial. Diverse constituents defended specific animal practices, such as cockfighting, bullfighting, songbird consumption, and kosher slaughter, as inviolate cultural traditions that reinforced their right to self-determination. Ultimately, American animal advocacy became a powerful humanitarian ideal, a touchstone of inclusion and national belonging at home and abroad that endures to this day.
Buy Premium From My Links To Get Resumable Support,Max Speed & Support Me
Download ( Rapidgator )
Download ( NitroFlare )
- Ebooks list page : 40854
- 2018-10-30Railroaded The Transcontinentals and the Making of Modern America [Audiobook]
- 2018-07-18New World Coming The 1920s and the Making of Modern America [Audiobook]
- 2018-05-01The Burning House : Jim Crow and the Making of Modern America
- 2018-01-03[PDF] Impossible Subjects: Illegal Aliens and the Making of Modern America (Politics and Society in Twentieth-Century America)
- 2013-07-30The Iron Way: Railroads, the Civil War, and the Making of Modern America
- 2011-11-09Railroaded: The Transcontinentals and the Making of Modern America
- 2011-11-08Richard White, "Railroaded: The Transcontinentals and the Making of Modern America"
- 2011-11-02Railroaded: The Transcontinentals and the Making of Modern America
- 2011-08-29The Making of Modern America: The Nation from 1945 to the Present
- 2010-12-18Jackson Lears - Rebirth of a Nation: The Making of Modern America, 1877-1920
- 2010-09-04The Making of Modern America: The Nation from 1945 to the Present
- 2009-12-18Rebirth of a Nation: The Making of Modern America, 1877-1920 (American History)
- 2009-07-25The Making of Modern America The Nation from 1945 to the Present
- 2017-11-06[PDF] Governing Animals: Animal Welfare and the Liberal State
- 2017-01-11[PDF] Governing Animals: Animal Welfare and the Liberal State
- 2011-11-25Wired Wilderness: Technologies of Tracking and the Making of Modern Wildlife (Animals, History, Culture)
- 2012-03-12David Darom - The Great Collections: Modern Custom Knives
- 2019-11-06Jacques Offenbach and the Making of Modern Culture
- 2019-10-31Heirs of an Honored Name: The Decline of the Adams Family and the Rise of Modern America
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.