Posted on 2018-11-13, by voska89.
The Ionian Islands: Aspects of Their History and Culture by Anthony Hirst, Patrick Sammon
2014 | ISBN: 1443858250 | English | 507 pages | PDF | 3 MB
The Ionian Islands stretch south from the Adriatic, where Corfu's Pantokrator mountain overlooks Albania across narrow straits, along the western coast of mainland Greece through Paxi, Kephalonia, Ithaca, Lefkada and Zakynthos, to Kythira, midway between Athens and Crete. Three crucial sea-battles were fought here-Sybota (the first recorded), Actium and Lepanto-an indication of the Ionians' role as an East-West crossroads, between Western Christendom and the Orthodox and Islamic East. Ruled by Venice in her Stato da Mar (sea-empire), the islands became an independent state, as the Septinsular Republic and then, under British Protection, as the United States of the Ionian Islands. Before the mainland Greeks had a State, the Ionian people were proud of having a university-from 1824-in Corfu town, a World Heritage Site. The islands were united with the Kingdom of Greece in 1864-the first addition to its territory. This book (with over thirty illustrations) explores the history, archaeology, languages, customs and culture of the Ionian Islands. Without venturing far from the islands, readers will learn much about this distinctive part of the Mediterranean and Greek world. The chapters range from the mythology of the Bronze Age (Homer's Scheria, where Odysseus startled Nausicaa as she bathed) to today, concentrating particularly on the British Protectorate (1815-1864). One, illustrated by contemporary maps, deals with descriptions of the islands by a fourteenth-century Venetian writing in Latin. The roles of Jews, Souliot refugees, Greek revolutionaries, rebel peasants in Cephalonia, and workers in Corfu's port suburb of Mandouki are examined in detail. There are contributions on religion and philosophy, as well as literature, music, painting, and the folk-art of carved walking-canes.
Download ( Rapidgator )
Download ( NitroFlare )
- Ebooks list page : 37716
- 2012-05-19Classic AFVs No.2 Their History and How to Model them: Lee & Grant
- 2012-05-19Classic AFVs No.1 Their History and How to Model them: Crusader
- 2009-07-12The Gods of Northern Buddhism: Their History and Iconography
- 2009-06-26The Jews of Yemen: Studies in Their History and Culture
- 2018-08-15Encyclopedia of China The Essential Reference to China, Its History and Culture
- 2018-06-06Long Road to Hard Truth The 100 Year Mission to Create the National Museum of African American History and Culture
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The Columbia Guide to American Indians of the Southwest (The Columbia Guides to American Indian History and Culture)
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Love in the Time of Revolution: Transatlantic Literary Radicalism and Historical Change, 1793-1818 (Published for the Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture, Williamsburg, Virginia)
- 2017-12-13[PDF] The Mixtec Pictorial Manuscripts (Early Americas: History and Culture)
- 2017-11-28[PDF] The Affirmative Action Empire: Nations and Nationalism in the Soviet Union, 1923-1939 (The Wilder House Series in Politics, History and Culture)
- 2017-11-27[PDF] Empowering Collaborations: Writing Partnerships between Religious Women and Scribes in the Middle Ages (Studies in Medieval History and Culture)
- 2017-11-23[PDF] The Cunning of Recognition: Indigenous Alterities and the Making of Australian Multiculturalism (Politics, History, and Culture)
- 2017-02-17[PDF] Empowering Collaborations: Writing Partnerships between Religious Women and Scribes in the Middle Ages (Studies in Medieval History and Culture)
- 2014-03-12The Idea of Creativity (Philosophy of History and Culture) (repost)
- 2011-11-05Making the New Post-Soviet Person (Russian History and Culture)
- 2011-10-16Zigon, "Making the New Post-Soviet Person (Russian History and Culture)"
- 2011-10-14Making the New Post-Soviet Person (Russian History and Culture)
- 2011-10-11College of Chinese Language and Culture, ' (Mandarin Chinese Language), Book 1
- 2011-10-10Black American Biographies: The Journey of Achievement (African American History and Culture) free ebook download
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.