Author: Upton Sinclair
Publisher: Barnes & Noble Classics
Posted on 2012-01-11, by 4bookholic.
The Jungle (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) (B&N Classics)
Upton Sinclair | Barnes & Noble Classics | 2003 | 448 pages | English | EPUB, MOBI
The Jungle, by Upton Sinclair, is part of the Barnes & Noble Classics series, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras. Here are some of the remarkable features of Barnes & Noble Classics:New introductions commissioned from today's top writers and scholars Biographies of the authors Chronologies of contemporary historical, biographical, and cultural events Footnotes and endnotes Selective discussions of imitations, parodies, poems, books, plays, paintings, operas, statuary, and films inspired by the work Comments by other famous authors Study questions to challenge the reader's viewpoints and expectations Bibliographies for further reading Indices & Glossaries, when appropriateAll editions are beautifully designed and are printed to superior specifications; some include illustrations of historical interest. Barnes & Noble Classics pulls together a constellation of influences—biographical, historical, and literary—to enrich each reader's understanding of these enduring works. Upton Sinclair’s muckraking masterpiece The Jungle centers on Jurgis Rudkus, a Lithuanian immigrant working in Chicago’s infamous Packingtown. Instead of finding the American Dream, Rudkus and his family inhabit a brutal, soul-crushing urban jungle dominated by greedy bosses, pitiless con-men, and corrupt politicians.While Sinclair’s main target was the industry’s appalling labor conditions, the reading public was most outraged by the disgusting filth and contamination in American food that his novel exposed. As a result, President Theodore Roosevelt demanded an official investigation, which quickly led to the passage of the Pure Food and Drug laws. For a work of fiction to have such an impact outside its literary context is extremely rare. (At the time of The Jungle’s publication in 1906, the only novel to have led to social change on a similar scale in America was Uncle Tom’s Cabin.) Today, The Jungle remains a relevant portrait of capitalism at its worst and an impassioned account of the human spirit facing nearly insurmountable challenges.Maura Spiegel teaches literature and film at Columbia University and Barnard College. She is the coauthor of The Grim Reader and The Breast Book: An Intimate and Curious History. She coedits Literature and Medicine, a journal.
- Ebooks list page : 16957
- 2012-01-10The Jungle (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) (B&N Classics) - Upton Sinclair
- 2012-02-20The Call of the Wild and White Fang (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) - Jack London - Removed
- 2012-01-19The Call of the Wild and White Fang (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) - Jack London - Removed
- 2012-01-11Heart of Darkness and Selected Short Fiction (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) (B&N Classics) - Joseph Conrad
- 2012-01-10Heart of Darkness and Selected Short Fiction (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) (B&N Classics) - Joseph Conrad
- 2011-09-30The Origin of Species (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
- 2011-09-15The Awakening and Selected Short Fiction (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
- 2011-09-06The Souls of Black Folk (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
- 2011-10-20Founding America: Documents from the Revolution to the Bill of Rights (Barnes & Noble Classics)
- 2011-07-19Leaves of Grass (Barnes & Noble Classics Series): First and 'Death-Bed' Editions
- 2011-07-17Selected Stories of O. Henry (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
- 2011-05-31The Woman in White (Barnes & Noble Classics) - Removed
- 2011-09-06Bulfinch's Mythology (Barnes & Noble Classics)
- 2019-01-25The Phantom of the Opera (Barnes & Noble Classics)
- 2019-01-25The Idiot (Barnes & Noble Classics)
- 2019-01-15The Wings of the Dove (Barnes & Noble Classics)
- 2019-01-15The Return of the Native (Barnes & Noble Classics)
- 2019-01-15The Red and the Black (Barnes & Noble Classics)
- 2019-01-11The Red and the Black (Barnes & Noble Classics)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.