Tag: History and Military
Posted on 2014-06-03. By anonymous.
University Of Chicago Press | 2006-12-15 | ISBN: 0226899004 | 312 pages | PDF | 2 MB
In the West, monastic ideals and scholastic pursuits are complementary; monks are popularly imagined copying classics, preserving learning through the Middle Ages, and establishing the first universities. But this dual identity is not without its contradictions. While monasticism emphasizes the virtues of poverty, chastity, and humility, the scholar, by contrast, requires expensive infrastructureâ€”a library, a workplace, and the means of disseminating his work. In The Monk and the Book, Megan Hale Williams argues that Saint Jerome was the first to represent biblical study as a mode of asceticism appropriate for an inhabitant of a Christian monastery, thus pioneering the enduring linkage of monastic identities and institutions with scholarship.
Get More Interesting Ebooks >> Visit My Blog Now
- Ebooks list page : 27361
- 2009-03-12The Monk and the Book: Jerome and the Making of Christian Scholarship
- 2017-10-23[PDF] Empire and Science in the Making: Dutch Colonial Scholarship in Comparative Global Perspective, 1760-1830 (Palgrave Studies in the History of Science and Technology) - Removed
- 2014-05-04When AIDS Began: San Francisco and the Making of an Epidemic (repost)
- 2014-04-13Empire and Science in the Making: Dutch Colonial Scholarship in Comparative Global Perspective 1760-1830
- 2014-04-13Empire and Science in the Making: Dutch Colonial Scholarship in Comparative Global Perspective, 1760-1830
- 2014-02-26Liturgy and Literature in the Making of Protestant England (Repost)
- 2014-01-20ICT and Innovation in the Public Sector: European Studies in the Making of E-Government (repost)
- 2013-12-05Napoleon and His Collaborators: The Making of a Dictatorship (repost)
- 2013-10-04Religious Transactions in Colonial South India: Language, Translation, and the Making of Protestant Identity (repost)
- 2013-09-22Hirohito and the Making of Modern Japan [Repost]
- 2013-08-13Text Comparison and Digital Creativity: The Production of Presence and Meaning in Digital Text Scholarship (repost)
- 2013-07-21Shakespeare, Milton and Eighteenth-Century Literary Editing: The Beginnings of Interpretative Scholarship (repost)
- 2013-02-03The King of Madison Avenue: David Ogilvy and the Making of Modern Advertising (repost) - Removed
- 2012-12-25Molecular and Cellular Biology of Neuroprotection in the CNS by Christian Alzheimer (Repost)
- 2012-12-21Greatness: Reagan, Churchill, and the Making of Extraordinary Leaders (repost)
- 2012-09-04Liturgy and Literature in the Making of Protestant England (repost)
- 2012-07-02Higher: A Historic Race to the Sky and the Making of a City [Repost]
- 2011-12-21Napoleon and his Collaborators: The Making of a Dictatorship (repost)
- 2011-11-05Wired Wilderness: Technologies of Tracking and the Making of Modern Wildlife (Repost)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.