Posted on 2014-01-29. By anonymous.
2011 | English | 472 pages | PDF | 3.66 Mb
In her award-winning, critically acclaimed Women¡¯s Writing in Italy, 1400¨C1650, Virginia Cox chronicles the history of women writers in early modern Italy¡ªwho they were, what they wrote, where they fit in society, and how their status changed during this period. In this book, Cox examines more closely one particular moment in this history, in many ways the most remarkable for the richness and range of women¡¯s literary output.
A widespread critical notion sees Italian women¡¯s writing as a phenomenon specific to the peculiar literary environment of the mid-sixteenth century, and most scholars assume that a reactionary movement such as the Counter-Reformation was unlikely to spur its development. Cox argues otherwise, showing that women¡¯s writing flourished in the period following 1560, reaching beyond the customary "feminine" genres of lyric, poetry, and letters to experiment with pastoral drama, chivalric romance, tragedy, and epic. There were few widely practiced genres in this eclectic phase of Italian literature to which women did not turn their hand.
Organized by genre, and including translations of all excerpts from primary texts, this comprehensive and engaging volume provides students and scholars with an invaluable resource as interest in these exceptional writers grows. In addition to familiar, secular works by authors such as Isabella Andreini, Moderata Fonte, and Lucrezia Marinella, Cox also discusses important writings that have largely escaped critical interest, including Fonte¡¯s and Marinella¡¯s vivid religious narratives, an unfinished Amazonian epic by Maddalena Salvetti, and the startlingly fresh autobiographical lyrics of Francesca Turina Bufalini.
Juxtaposing religious and secular writings by women and tracing their relationship to the male-authored literature of the period, often surprisingly affirmative in its attitudes toward women, Cox reveals a new and provocative vision of the Italian Counter-Reformation as a period far less uniformly repressive of women than is commonly assumed.
upload, share and manage your files for free.
- Ebooks list page : 24948
- 2017-04-07[PDF] The Prodigious Muse: Women's Writing in Counter-Reformation Italy
- 2014-01-20The Prodigious Muse: Women's Writing in Counter-Reformation Italy
- 2019-07-11The Becoming of the Body Contemporary Women's Writing in French
- 2013-07-04Women's Worlds: The Anthology of Women's Writing in English Across the Globe
- 2019-05-12The New Cambridge Modern History, Vol. 3: Counter-Reformation and Price Revolution, 1559-1610
- 2017-09-18Pius IV and the Fall of The Carafa Nepotism and Papal Authority in Counter-Reformation Rome
- 2014-01-28The True Secret of Writing: Connecting Life with Language - eazydoc.com
- 2014-01-13When Women Sexually Abuse Men: The Hidden Side of Rape, Stalking, Harassment, and Sexual Assault - eazydoc.com
- 2014-01-06The Missing Girls and Women of China, Hong Kong and Taiwan - eazydoc.com
- 2014-02-13Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. 003 (2014) - eazydoc.com
- 2014-02-06Women's Health India - January - February 2014 - eazydoc.com
- 2014-02-02The Dinnertime Survival Cookbook: Delicious, Inspiring Meals for Busy Families - eazydoc.com
- 2014-02-02The Economist (Intelligence Unit) - Asia Competition Barometer Precision Engineering (2012) - eazydoc.com
- 2014-02-01Guide to the LEED AP Homes Exam (Wiley Series in Sustainable Design) - eazydoc.com
- 2014-01-31Designing with Conifers: The Best Choices for Year-Round Interest in Your Garden - eazydoc.com
- 2014-01-31The Economist Audio Edition Dec 22nd 2012 - Jan 4th 2013 - eazydoc.com
- 2014-01-31Rules for Writers with Writing about Literature, 7th Edition - eazydoc.com
- 2014-01-31Cut the Cord: All You Need to Know to Drop Cable - eazydoc.com
- 2014-01-31The Art of Frugal: Feeding a Family on a Budget - eazydoc.com
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.