The Search for a Meaningful Past: Philosophies, Theories, and Interpretations (Audiobook - TTC) (Repost)
Tag: History and Military
Posted on 2013-04-14. By anonymous.
1995 | 12 hours and 12 mins | ISBN: n/a | MP3 48 kbps | 272 MB
What is the point of history? What lessons can be drawn from it? How is history interpreted and understood? Is it an indicator of the future? Can it produce more than just storiesâ€”can it offer knowledge?
If these questions fascinate you as they have intellectuals of the last three centuries, then Professor Darren Staloffâ€™s lectures are the spellbinding synthesis of relevant scholarly literature that youâ€™ve been seeking.
This is not a course about dates and events, but one that presents key theories, interpretations, techniques, and visions of the past, leaving you free to select and apply a perspective you feel gives meaning to history.
Professor Staloff achieves this by examining the ideas of key thinkers from the last 275 years, taking each in turn and analyzing the contributions of each to our understanding of history. The result is a course that traces modern manâ€™s struggle to comprehend his place in the world by unraveling the past.
About the professor:
Darren Staloff received his B.A.. in 1983 and his Ph.D. in 1991, both from Columbia University. Currently an associate professor at the City College of New York and the Graduate Center of the City University of New York, Staloff served as a post-doctoral fellow at the Institute for Early American History and Culture in Williamsburg, Virginia. He also spent three years as a preceptor of Contemporary Civilization at Columbia University.
Professor Staloff has also been the recipient of such fellowships and awards as the National Endowment of Humanities Fellow (1992), the President's Fellowship at Columbia University (1984-85), and the Harry J. Carman Scholar at Columbia University (1983-84). His books include The Making of an American Thinking Class: Intellectuals and Intelligentsia in Puritan Massachusetts (Oxford University Press, 1998) and he is currently completing a book entitled The Politics of Enlightenment: Alexander Hamilton, Thomas Jefferson, and John Adams and the Founding of the American Republic.
- Lecture 1: Issues and Problems
- Lecture 2: Mircea Eliade's Cosmos and History and Cyclical Time
- Lecture 3: The Early Enlightenment and the Search for the Laws of Historyâ€”Vico's New Science of History
- Lecture 4: The High Enlightenment's Cult of Progress: Kant's "Idea for a Universal History from a Cosmopolitan Point of View"
- Lecture 5: Hegel's Philosophy of History
- Lecture 6: Marx's Historical Materialism
- Lecture 7: Nietzsche's Critique of Historical Consciousnessâ€”On the Advantage and Disadvantage of History for Life
- Lecture 8: Weber's Historical Sociology
- Lecture 9: Taking the Long Viewâ€”Arnold Toynbee and World Historical Speculation
- Lecture 10: Twentieth-Century Neo-Idealismâ€”R.G. Collingwood's The Idea of History
- Lecture 11: The Positivist Conception of Historical Knowledgeâ€”Carl Hempel's "The Function of General Laws in History"
- Lecture 12: Analytic Musingsâ€”Arthur Danto's Narration and Knowledge
- Lecture 13: Social History, Structuralism, and the Long Dureeâ€”Fernand Braudel's On History
- Lecture 14: Post-Structuralism and the Linguistic Turnâ€”Hayden White's Introduction to Metahistory
- Lecture 15: Naturalism Revisitedâ€”William McNeill's Plagues and Peoples
- Lecture 16: The Heterogeneity of Historical Understanding
- Ebooks list page : 21858
- 2011-12-30The Search for a Meaningful Past: Philosophies, Theories, and Interpretations (Audiobook)
- 2011-05-04The Search for a Meaningful Past - Philosophies Theories and Interpretations (Audiobook)
- 2011-03-30The Search for a Meaningful Past: Philosophies, Theories, and Interpretations (Audiobook)
- 2007-06-16TTC - Darren Staloff - The Search for a Meaningful Past Philosop
- 2013-05-25The American Military Experience in World War II and Vietnam (Audiobook - TTC) (Repost)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Origins: The Search for Our Prehistoric Past
- 2017-11-18[PDF] War Stories: The Search for a Usable Past in the Federal Republic
- 2010-05-30War Stories: The Search for a Usable Past in the Federal Republic
- 2017-11-29[PDF] The Return of Ideology: The Search for Regime Identities in Postcommunist Russia and China
- 2017-10-28[PDF] The Search for New Anticancer Drugs (Cancer Biology and Medicine)
- 2011-08-28The Search for Al Qaeda: Its Leadership, Ideology, and Future, Revised edition
- 2010-01-22Four Centuries of Geological Travel: The Search for Knowledge on Foot, Bicycle, Sledge and Camel
- 2009-09-19The Search for al Qaeda: Its Leadership, Ideology, and Future
- 2009-09-14The Search for Intelligent Life in Space (Course No. 146) - Audiobook
- 2008-12-06Nature's Blueprint: Supersymmetry and the Search for a Unified Theory of Matter and Force
- 2013-05-27The American Military Experience in World War II and Vietnam (Audiobook - TTC)
- 2013-05-24Art of Conflict Management: Achieving Solutions for Life, Work, and Beyond (Audiobook - TTC) (Repost)
- 2011-09-05Brain Facts: A Primer on the Brain and Nervous System free ebook download
- 2019-07-29^&(Valuable) - Why You Should Read The Ends of the World: Supervolcanoes, Lethal Oceans, and the Search for Past Apocalypses by Peter Brannen Online or Download [`PDF `EPUB `MOBI]
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.