Posted on 2012-10-26. By anonymous.
2002 | 240 Pages | ISBN: 0767904850 | EPUB | 3 MB
The story of the quest for a real-life Shangri-La in the darkest heart of the Himalayasâ€“ a century-long obsession to reach the sacred hidden center of one of the world's last uncharted realms.
At the far eastern end of the Himalayas in Tibet lies the Tsangpo River Gorge, known as â€œthe great romance of geographyâ€ during the nineteenth century's golden age of exploration. Here the mighty Tsangpo funnels into an impenetrable canyon three miles deep, walled off from the outside world by twenty-five thousand foot peaks. Like the earthly paradise of Shangri-La immortalized in James Hilton's classic 1933 novel Lost Horizon, the Tsangpo River Gorge is a refuge revered for centuries by Tibetan Buddhistsâ€“and later in Western imaginationâ€“as a sanctuary in times of strife as well as a gateway to nirvana.
The Siege of Shangri-La tells the story of this fabled land's exploration as both a geographical and spiritual destinationâ€“and chronicles the discovery at the end of the last millennium of the truth behind the myths and rumors about it. Veteran journalist Michael McRae traces the gorge's exploratory history from the clandestine missions of surveyor-spies called pundits and botanical expeditions of naturalists in the early twentieth century to the recent investigations of scholars, adventurers, and pilgrims seeking the "Hidden Falls," of the Tsangpo, which purportedly rivals Niagara in size and serves as the gateway to paradise. Each explorer's narrative provides increasing evidence of why the gorge has been mythologized in Eastern and Western lore as one of the world's most alluring blanks on the mapâ€“and a supreme test of human will.
Taking readers on a guided tour of the gorge's landscape, physical and metaphysical, McRae presents an insightful look at the pursuit of glory and enlightenment that has played out in this mysterious land with sometimes disastrous consequences. The Siege of Shangri-La is a fascinating journey through the inner recesses of a remote, mystical world and the minds of those who have attempted to reach it.
- Ebooks list page : 20367
- 2017-04-14[PDF] The Siege of Shangri-La: The Quest for Tibet's Sacred Hidden Paradise
- 2012-05-19Germany's Panther Tank: The Quest for Combat Supremacy
- 2011-09-05Brain Facts: A Primer on the Brain and Nervous System free ebook download
- 2012-01-12video2brain - Uwe Braunschweig The Quest. Fantasy-Composings mit dem gewissen Etwas
- 2011-09-16Scars of Mirrodin: The Quest for Karn: Scars of Mirrodin Block (Magic: the Gathering)
- 2011-08-06Vaulting Ambition: Sociobiology and the Quest for Human Nature
- 2019-04-19Banking in Europe: The Quest for Profitability after the Great Financial Crisis
- 2019-04-08Peter Pan The Quest for the Never Book 2018 DVDRip x264 [MW]
- 2019-04-04Peter Pan The Quest for the Never Book 2018 DVDRip x264-SPOOKS
- 2019-03-26Herping Texas The Quest for Reptiles and Amphibians
- 2019-03-25China's Conservative Revolution: The Quest for a New Order, 1927-1949
- 2019-03-24Beyond the Quest for the Historical Jesus Memoir of a Discovery
- 2019-03-20Chinese Alchemy Taoism, the Power of Gold, and the Quest for Immortality
- 2019-03-18The Quest for a Moral Compass A Global History of Ethics
- 2019-03-18The Elegant Universe Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory
- 2019-03-11An Unnatural History of Religions Academia, Post-truth and the Quest for Scientific Knowledge
- 2019-03-08Reimagining Japan: The Quest for a Future That Works
- 2019-03-05Meta Math!: The Quest for Omega
- 2019-03-05An Unnatural History of Religions Academia, Post-truth and the Quest for Scientific Knowledge
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.