Posted on 2013-10-31. By anonymous.
Robbins Burling - The Talking Ape: How Language Evolved
Published: 2005-11-01 | ISBN: 0199279403 | PDF | 296 pages | 3 MB
Humans never run out of things to say. We explain, we cajole, we gossip, and we flirt--all with the help of language. But how in the space of several million years did we evolve from an ordinary primate that that could not talk to the strange human primate that can't shut up?
In this fascinating, thought-provoking book, Robbins Burling presents the most convincing account of the origins of language ever published, shedding new light on how speech affects the way we think, behave, and relate to each other, and offering us a deeper understanding of the nature of language itself. Burling argues that comprehension, rather than production, was the driving force behind the evolution of language--we could understand words before we could produce them. As he develops this insight, he investigates the first links between signs, sounds, and meanings and explores the beginnings of vocabulary and grammar. He explains what the earliest forms of communication are likely to have been, how they worked, and why they were deployed, suggesting that when language began it was probably much more dependent on words like "poke" or "whoosh," words whose sounds have a close association with what they refer to. Only gradually did language develop the immense vocabulary it has today. Burling also examines the qualities of mind and brain needed to support the operations of language and the selective advantages they offered those able to use them.
Written in a crystal-clear style, constantly enlivened by flashes of wit and humor, here is the definitive account on the birth of language.
No Other Mirrors, Please!
- Ebooks list page : 23629
- 2019-05-10The Talking Ape How Language Evolved
- 2019-03-23The Talking Ape How Language Evolved - Removed
- 2011-09-05The Talking Ape: How Language Evolved
- 2010-04-04The Talking Ape: How Language Evolved (Studies in the Evolution of Language)
- 2009-06-07The Talking Ape: How Language Evolved (Studies in the Evolution of Language): Robbins Burling
- 2018-09-28The Aesthetic Brain How We Evolved to Desire Beauty and Enjoy Art [Audiobook]
- 2018-08-05The Digital Ape: how to live (in peace) with smart machines
- 2018-07-22The Aesthetic Brain How We Evolved to Desire Beauty and Enjoy Art [Audiobook]
- 2018-07-09The Digital Ape How to Live (in Peace) with Smart Machines [Audiobook]
- 2018-06-29The Digital Ape how to live (in peace) with smart machines
- 2018-06-28The Digital Ape how to live (in peace) with smart machines
- 2018-06-25The Digital Ape: how to live (in peace) with smart machines
- 2018-05-19The Digital Ape: How to Live (in Peace) with Smart Machines [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-01[PDF] The Aesthetic Brain: How We Evolved to Desire Beauty and Enjoy Art
- 2017-12-18[PDF] The Faith Instinct: How Religion Evolved and Why It Endures
- 2017-11-24[PDF] Speaking Our Minds: Why human communication is different, and how language evolved to make it special - Removed
- 2017-09-18Confronting the Death Penalty How Language Influences Jurors in Capital Cases
- 2017-01-11[PDF] The Aesthetic Brain: How We Evolved to Desire Beauty and Enjoy Art
- 2016-07-22The Aesthetic Brain How We Evolved to Desire Beauty and Enjoy Art
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.