[share_ebook] Tiger Bone & Rhino Horn: The Destruction of Wildlife for Traditional Chinese Medicine - Richard Ellis
Author: Richard Ellis
Publisher: Island Press
Posted on 2012-02-03, by 4bookholic.
Tiger Bone & Rhino Horn: The Destruction of Wildlife for Traditional Chinese Medicine
Richard Ellis | Island Press | 2005 | 312 pages | English | PDF
In parts of Korea and China, moon bears, black but for the crescent-shaped patch of white on their chests, are captured in the wild and brought to "bear farms" where they are imprisoned in squeeze cages, and a steel catheter is inserted into their gall bladders. The dripping bile is collected as a cure for ailments ranging from an upset stomach to skin burns. The bear may live as long as fifteen years in this state. Rhinos are being illegally poached for their horns, as are tigers for their bones, thought to improve virility. Booming economies and growing wealth in parts of Asia are increasing demand for these precious medicinals. Already endangered species are being sacrificed for temporary treatments for nausea and erectile dysfunction.Richard Ellis, one of the world's foremost experts in wildlife extinction, brings his alarm to the pages of Tiger Bone & Rhino Horn, in the hope that through an exposure of this drug trade, something can be done to save the animals most direly threatened. Trade in animal parts for traditional Chinese medicine is a leading cause of species endangerment in Asia, and poaching is increasing at an alarming rate. Most of traditional Chinese medicine relies on herbs and other plants, and is not a cause for concern. Ellis illuminates those aspects of traditional medicine, but as wildlife habitats are shrinking for the hunted large species, the situation is becoming ever more critical.Tigers, bears, and rhinos are not the only animals pursued for the sake of alleviating human ills--the list includes musk deer, sharks, saiga antelope, seahorses, porcupines, monkeys, beavers, and sea lions--but the dwindling numbers of those rare species call us to attention. Ellis tells us what has been done successfully, and contemplates what can and must be done to save these animals or, sadly, our children will witness the extinction of tigers, rhinos, and moon bears in their lifetime.
- Ebooks list page : 17320
- 2017-10-27[PDF] Tiger Bone & Rhino Horn: The Destruction of Wildlife for Traditional Chinese Medicine
- 2010-08-06Tiger Bone & Rhino Horn: The Destruction of Wildlife for Traditional Chinese Medicine by Richard Ellisn
- 2011-12-09The Tao of Fertility. A Healing Chinese Medicine Program to Prepare Body, Mind, and Spirit for New Life by Daoshing Ni
- 2017-10-14[PDF] A Certain Curve of Horn: The Hundred-Year Quest for the Giant Sable Antelope of Angola
- 2012-04-19The Game Audio Tutorial: A Practical Guide to Sound and Music for Interactive Games by Richard Stevens [REPOST] - Removed
- 2019-04-21A User's Manual for the Human Body: How Traditional Chinese Medicine helps the body heal itself
- 2018-11-25Treating Herpes the Natural Way (Traditional Chinese Medicine, Herbs and Healing Series)
- 2018-01-05[PDF] The Shorter Columbia Anthology of Traditional Chinese Literature
- 2017-12-27[PDF] Classic German Baking: The Very Best Recipes for Traditional Favorites, from Pfeffernusse to Streuselkuchen [German]
- 2017-12-24[PDF] High Performance Liquid Chromatography Fingerprinting Technology Of The Commonly-Used Traditional Chinese Medicine Herbs
- 2017-12-21[PDF] The Tao of Healthy Eating: Dietary Wisdom According to Traditional Chinese Medicine
- 2017-10-31[PDF] The Tao of Fertility. A Healing Chinese Medicine Program to Prepare Body, Mind, and Spirit for New Life
- 2017-10-28[PDF] Zang Fu: The Organ Systems of Traditional Chinese Medicine, 2e
- 2017-10-26[PDF] The Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus With Chinese Medicine: A Textbook & Clinical Manual
- 2017-10-08[PDF] The New Reflexology: A Unique Blend of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Western Reflexology Practice for Better Health and Healing
- 2017-10-03[PDF] Traditional Chinese Medicine: The Human Dimension
- 2017-02-18[PDF] Zang Fu: The Organ Systems of Traditional Chinese Medicine, 2e
- 2017-01-12[PDF] The Shorter Columbia Anthology of Traditional Chinese Literature
- 2017-01-04The Shorter Columbia Anthology of Traditional Chinese Literature
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.