Tag: History and Military
Posted on 2013-03-11. By anonymous.
James T. Sparrow, "Warfare State: World War II Americans and the Age of Big Government"
ISBN: 0199791015 | 2011 | EPUB/MOBI | 344 pages | 3 MB/3 MB
Although common wisdom and much scholarship assume that "big government" gained its foothold in the United States under the auspices of the New Deal during the Great Depression, in fact it was the Second World War that accomplished this feat. Indeed, as the federal government mobilized for war it grew tenfold, quickly dwarfing the New Deal's welfare programs.
Warfare State shows how the federal government vastly expanded its influence over American society during World War II. Equally important, it looks at how and why Americans adapted to this expansion of authority. Through mass participation in military service, war work, rationing, price control, income taxation, and the war bond program, ordinary Americans learned to live with the warfare state. They accepted these new obligations because the government encouraged all citizens to think of themselves as personally connected to the battle front, linking their every action to the fate of the combat soldier. As they worked for the American Soldier, Americans habituated themselves to the authority of the government. Citizens made their own counter-claims on the state-particularly in the case of industrial workers, women, African Americans, and most of all, the soldiers. Their demands for fuller citizenship offer important insights into the relationship between citizen morale, the uses of patriotism, and the legitimacy of the state in wartime.
World War II forged a new bond between citizens, nation, and government. Warfare State tells the story of this dramatic transformation in American life.
- Ebooks list page : 21570
- 2018-08-09Origins of the Warfare State World War II and the Transformation of American Politics
- 2019-10-12World War II 1945 and the Wheelchair President 2015 HDTV x264-UNDERBELLY
- 2018-10-31Japanese War Crimes during World War II Atrocity and the Psychology of Collective Violence
- 2018-10-17Dragon's Fury - World War against America and the West
- 2018-08-25Dragon's Fury - World War against America and the West
- 2018-08-09Japanese War Crimes during World War II Atrocity and the Psychology of Collective Violence
- 2018-01-03[PDF] Secret Weapons and World War II: Japan in the Shadow of Big Science (Modern War Studies)
- 2017-12-31[PDF] Imagining the Unimaginable: World War, Modern Art, and the Politics of Public Culture in Russia, 1914-1917 (Studies in War, Society, and the Military)
- 2017-12-20[PDF] World War III: Population and the Biosphere at the End of the Millennium
- 2013-08-14World War III: Population and the Biosphere at the End of the Millennium
- 2013-07-15World War III: Population and the Biosphere at the End of the Millennium (repost)
- 2011-10-11World War III: Population and the Biosphere at the End of the Millennium
- 2011-07-20World war III: Population and the Biosphere at the End of the Millennium
- 2011-06-20Dragon's Fury - World War against America and the West
- 2010-11-04Intelligence and Anglo-American Air Support in World War Two: Tunisia and the Western Desert, 1940-43 - Removed
- 2009-03-18Dragons Fury - The coming World War against America and the West
- 2009-01-23Imagining the Unimaginable: World War, Modern Art, and the Politics of Public Culture in Russia, 1914-1917
- 2009-01-19Dragon's Fury - World War against America and the West
- 2012-05-11Panzers In The Balkans And Italy Quarrie (World War 2 Photo Album #19)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.